1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

region problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by glmfem, Jan 23, 2005.

1. glmfem

glmfem Member

I use DVD shrink and I have the Region free on. Also, I have Any DVD to help out. And I still have a problem with some of my DVDs working in my DVD player. What else can I do?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

SHRINK and ANYDVD both remove the region copde so your problem has to something else. Have you checked your media compatibility with your players as in the right + or - format? Are you using good quality blank media? Are use burning too fast(4X or less should be used) Are any of your backups in PAL format and being played in NTSC players. These are some of the common problems to check. You didn't give us much to go on information wise.

Jerry

3. glmfem

glmfem Member

My player can play both - and + DVDs. I have made backups with at least 50 of my movies already. There is about 8 that don't work on my player and a message shows up on my TV about the region.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Check your settings in both Shrink and Anydvd and make sure Remove Region Code in checked. I never had any problem with a region code error using either one.

Jerry

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Well using both DVD Region Free and AnyDVD is a bit redundant. I own both, but only use AnyDVD. The better of the 2, if for no other reason, they update the decryption capabilities of AnyDVD faster. AnyDVD simulates an RPC2 drive with the matching region. A default setting which shouldn't have been changed. Do region settings NTSC and PAL are no issue. Shrink will see the disc as an unencrypted disc and will encode it as such. As jerry said though, the box has to be checked in AnyDVD.

As far as the problem, I'd look into media quality and the burn software and burn speed. What is the brand of media being used and the speed and format? Is the firmware up to date? Also the DVDs being burned need to be placed under scrutiny as well. DVDInfoPro is a good freeware for checking discs for errors.

6. grace101

grace101 Member

What about the Region associated with the installed drive/driver? I am also having problems and I just noticed that one of my write drives is Region free but the other one is not. Should I uninstall the set region drive and reinsatll it with no region associated to it?
    Thanks

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The region that your dvd drive is set at doesn't have anything to do with playback of a copy. If all settings are right in your backup program the copy comes out with no encryption and REGION FREE. It should play on any player as long as the video format(NTSC/PAL) is the same.
    There are some hacked firmware out that makes a burner drive region free. If you decide to go that direction try this site for the firmware.
    http://www.rpc1.com.

Jerry

8. grace101

grace101 Member

Jerry,
    Thank you for the information.

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The only time your drive/burner region will come into use is when playing purchased or rented dvds. If by chance you had one from another region other than where you live you may have a problem playing it without changing your drive region setting. You get around 5 changes before it locks into one. Running a program like Anydvd in the background while playing those out of area dvds would make the dvd look region free so no change would be needed. Hope this helps explain it more. Good luck.

Jerry

10. glmfem

glmfem Member

thank you for the advice

11. brobear

brobear Guest

As I said, the software is the simplest solution. Pay attention to Jerry's words, 4 or 5 changes on a drive and it becomes locked to 1 region. With the software running, it is the same as having a region free drive.