1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

removing modchip

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by chimaera, Feb 24, 2005.

1. chimaera

chimaera Member

I have a solderless matrix modchip, and recently came into a bit of a snag as my xbox is flashing red and green with an error code 16...after reading up about it, some ppl seem to think it has something to do with the mobo/hard drive, other believe it has to do with the clock settings, the bios, eeprom....anyway, i'm going insane trying to figure all of this out....my problem is that even if i remove the chip the xbox still flashes and won't boot up, i did install a new hard drive in there which i assume doesn't contain the original ms bios hence why it won't boot up....but say i wanted to re-install the original bios, and forget about the modchip, how would i go about doing such a thing?

- is there a way to yank the hd out of the xbox, hook it up to a pc and work from there?
    - if i don't have the original hd anymore, what files would i need from another xbox?
    - is there anything else that needs to be removed aside from the actual chip (i didn't install myself so i don't know exactly what was in there originally)

while i'm posting all this, might as well ask if someone has another solution to get that xbox up and running again? i tried using slayer's setup 2.6 to boot up the xbox with no luck,

-does the chip only flash green when it's well aligned or could it flash green and totally be off?
    -will flashing the eeprom make any difference (good or bad?)
    -finally is there a way to flash the bios without having the hardware programmer?

sorry for the laundry list of questions, but i'm on the verge of insanity here, and just might appreciate some help

thanks,

Phil...

2. mdsup

mdsup Guest

do you have a evox boot disc? if you do try booting the xbox with that, and see if you can ftp...i am pretty sure error 16 has to do with something wrong with the dashboard...so if you can ftp, you could try installing a new dashboard to see if that fixes anything.

3. modster

modster Regular member

did you backed up your original hard drive that came with the xbox originally? aslo, you can download the original bios cromwell bios from xbins. then you can follow mdsup advice to boot off the evox disc.

hopes this helps