1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

removing .vob's etc

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Reiven, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Reiven

Reiven Member

So the problem is that the dvd files on my HDD are over 7gb large and I have to fit them on one DVD. I noticed while going through the .vob's that two of them are movie end credits and one is a trailer (VTS_01_6.VOB; VTS_01_7.VOB; VTS_02_1.VOB). Combined they take over a gig from the disk so removing them would lessen the need for compression and I would get better image quality. So my question is: How do I get rid of those files?

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Reiven, Welcome to A/D -

Download DVD Shrink, click "Open Files" and collect your VIDEO_TS Folder, use re-author to select just the movie - "Click and drag" just the thing that says "Title 1" under the heading "Main Movie" from the right side of the screen to the left then select backup to burn to disc with your favorite burner -

Enjoy,

Pete

Plenty of other guides available from A/D concerning DVD Shrink -

3. Reiven

Reiven Member

That was a fast reply :)
    I've already used dvd shrink quite a lot but using the re-author mode destroys the menus, right? I want absolutely to have the menus, they are so well done and artistic :)

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

No problem,

Use Nero's recode2 - It works almost the same as Shrink but leaves the menus in tact -

cheers

5. Reiven

Reiven Member

You mean Ahead Software's Nero Burning Rom or something else? If you mean NBR then where is this recode2?`Or if you mean something other where can I get this program?

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Nero's Burning ROM is only a piece of Nero 6 Ultra Edition.

Recode2 is another part that can be downloaed if you have a current license -

Check it out here:

http://www.ahead.de/us/nero-up.php

cheers,

Pete

7. Reiven

Reiven Member

Ok. I got recode2 working but now I have a different problem. The disks I burn are somehow corrupted or something. The first disk didn't play the menus at all, the movie was playable but menus appeared only in the end of the disk after the movie was finished and I wasn't able to interact with the menus.
    The second disk had the menus but still I couldn't interact with them so they were of no use. (All I did with the second disk was that I removed one hidden extra clip and heavily dropped the quality of menus etc and took of some audiotracks, also I cut out the end credits from the main movie and shortened one clip from the quite beginning of the disk...).
    Any1 who has hints I would appreciate them.

PS: How much difference is between normal 5.1 and DTS 5.1 sounds? Is it worthwile to include DTS on the disk if it reduces the movie quality from 86% to 72% etc...?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Many DVD's downloaded from the net are corrupt, you may have to get another one. Recode doesn't mess up your menus.

As far as the sound goes, if you don't have the equipment, there's no reason to get the DTS (Digital) sound. Hi-end Stereo system, stick with the 5.1

cheers,

"P"

9. Reiven

Reiven Member

That's just it, this DVD in question is in my bookself and I wanted to make a backup of it (don't wanna pay over 50e to buy a new one if it brakes :)). I used DVD Decrypter to transfer it to my HDD and now I'm trying to fit it on one dvd with no succes yet
    Tried one time again (mode Remake a DVD) and not working. Looks like the program does something nasty 'cos when I put the dvd in to the drive, it skips the menus where i select the language and it keeps telling that i can't borrow or sell the disk etc. It goes straight to the main menu and then the menu is just backgroung meaning I can't interact with it at all :(

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Reiven,

OK, no worries - we’re not done :)

Here's an excellent proggy set for you to try -

We're going to use AnyDVD - (free trial version)

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

This proggy rips your DVD on the fly, behind the scenes there's nothing you have to do :)

This proggy, CloneDVD 2 will do the compression for you. I suggest the starting box that says, "Copy DVD Titles." This cuts out the extras and copies just the movie. You may do one of 3 things. Allow CopyDVD 2 to burn your DVD to disc using a Temp file, burn your DVD to disc and to a permanent file or copy your DVD to just your HD. Today I used the last one - I was backing up 6 DVD's and had CloneDVD 2 just copying my DVD directly to my HD. I'll burn them to disc at a later date. I believe the trial version will allow just a single complete use so I suggest you have it copy your DVD to your HD and use another burner to go to disc later. That way you can do more than 1 if you wish. It's your choice.

http://www.elby.ch/en/products/clone_dvd/download.html

See how you make out with this -

Cheers,

"P"

11. Reiven

Reiven Member

I think you just saved my day. That seems the solution :)

But I get only about 73% quality. I checked and the end credits take almost 1,5gb space so removing them would help to get far more better quality. How could I remove those, I tried a couple of things but they didn't work out (used the nero encode2 and then replaced the original files with the encoded ones->lost sound, made new text files and renamed them like the original ones->got weird complainings from dvdshrink etc.)

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Play with that recode 2, it is very very under-ratted.

Don't forget to stop back and let me know how you make out -

"P"

13. dimad

dimad Regular member

14. Reiven

Reiven Member

Well that dvdreamke seems to be of no use. It always exports a 1,36gb disk no matter what I do, but thanks anyway :(
    I eill try to meddle with that encode2 and after that use dvdshrink to finish the job. Hope it works :)

15. Reiven

Reiven Member

Once again one disk gone needlessly. I'm tired of this (already 6 disks burned, none worked right). I will just stick to keep just the movie on the disk, I just hope I can still change the audio options etc on my DVD Player.
    Thanks for your help, both of you.

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Reiven,

A silly question on my part but - why aren't you using a DVD RW disc until you get your proceedure down before switching to single write media ?

It would have saved you those 6 DVD discs -