1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

resolution question

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by YoRiver, Sep 23, 2004.

1. YoRiver

YoRiver Guest

Hi, I'm writing from Italy
    I've a question about captured files resolution
    I thought I could convert my captured files (television and vhs) to mpg-2 with SVCD resolution
    Yet, that would be a high loss
    So I wonder if I could simply utilize the same resolution of DVD (720x576) and burn the files in a DVD-R
    Can I do this or do I necessarily need to convert my captured files to SVCD format to see them on my standalone player?

Thanks
    Daniel (a newby)

2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

You can convert them to MPEG2... DVD resolution ...if you have a DVD burner.

What resolution have you captured them at?

Try using something like TMPGEnc to convert them.

Adder.

3. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

Television and VHS use around 480 lines of resolution.(dependant on PAL/NTSC) if you convert to DVD spec 720x576 you will end up with a poor quality picture that takes up alot of room on disc. Stretching has the same effect as compressing. I would recommend SVCD Mpeg 2, most authoring programs will allow you to set your own resolution under this format, so you can improve the picture without going to far. And will work and look fine on a standalone DVD player. Your standard TV is only VCD capable anyway, only HDTV utilise the full DVD resolution.

4. YoRiver

YoRiver Guest

Thanks for your help
    I've capture them at a resolution of 640x480
    I've burned them on SVCD format and played them on my standalone player
    I'm not happy with the result though
    The black bars are very large and the screen resolution is half as big as the DVD one, so it's like watching a video in a 10 inches television as half the screen is black because of the bars
    I want at least a DVD resolution with less black bars and bigger screen
    So what can I convert my videos to so that when played on a standalone player I can see them in higher resolution or wider screen area instead of just a centered compressed bar?
    SVCD is too small to me

Thanks for your help
    Daniel

5. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

640x480 is not a television resolution. That is why your not happy with your picture. Computer monitors and TV's a very different. I think 560 × 420 and 544 × 372is NTSC, but I'm not sure on PAL, which is what you'd use in Italy.

6. YoRiver

YoRiver Guest

Thanks,
    I will try to find out what PAL television resolution is
    Once I've a properly captured file:
    do you think it is worth converting the captured files in mpeg2 DVD resolution (720*576 9000 max bitrate) or not?
    As for the video quality is it better a VCD/mpeg1 720*576 or a SVCD/mpeg2 480*576 ?

Thanks to you all again
    Daniel

7. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

I'd go with the svcd setting. Generally most software will allow you to customize svcd resolution, so you can suit the TV.