1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ripping analog to high-res digital

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by Repoman89, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Repoman89

Repoman89 Member

Ok, recently I've been ripping all my old tapes to 44.1 khz 16 bit WAV for CD burning. I've come across these higher quality formats and they've brought up some questions.
    -First, is it even possible to burn DVD-A or SACD discs?
    -What are their max resolutions so I would know what res to record at?
    -Is the difference in quality very noticable? I would have to spend a good amount of money for a dvd burner and good soundcard if I were to rip my music to these formats, so I just need to know this.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

No you can't burn an SACD but you can burn a DVD-A disc (it requires rather expensive software). There is no reason to record a Cassette Tape at anything highr than what the tape was recorded at itself. Unless you know how to remaster the entire work you won't be able to hear a difference. The best you can do is encode using a lossless format (such as FLAC and Monkeys Audio) if you want to maintain the sound quality of the tape. Audio encoders don't work miracles!

Ced

3. Repoman89

Repoman89 Member

Alright, thanks. I was just thinking that maybe you could capture more of the analog wave using a higher resolution. It probably wouldn't benefit me that much anyway since I don't have super high quality equipment.

Edit: what I've been doing is using Audacity to record at 96000 hz 32 bit. Then I remove the tape hiss, listen to the recording, and do some equalization as I see fit, and export as 44.1khz 16 bit wav for cd burning. I just thought that maybe some of the quality is lost when you export it at lower resolution.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005