1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Router Questions and Problems.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Kamui2007, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Kamui2007

Kamui2007 Member

I'm not 100 % sure where I should be posting this at. Here or at the general PC questions forum..I'll try here first and if i'm in the wrong spot I can just delete this thread.
    Now my problems and questions stem from two separate occasions. First is in my own house, I have just purchased a new Samsung Laptop. I am using a Linksys router that I have had for years without any problems too. Now I have 2 PCs and a Wii hooked up to this router though normally not all of them are running at the same time. This laptop is the only wireless thing I am using that will not connect properly. My PS3 is wireless and I get on netflix without any problems. But everytime I try to turn this laptop on an use it wirelessly, my router kinda has a heartattack and my PCs disconnect and I have to reset the router before I get a connection again. I'd like to be able to sit in my bed and use my Laptop but I can't figure out what things to do to get it to work. I had a WAP on here as well, but I took it off when trying to connect with the laptop.

Second occasion was at my Gf's house, her router suddenly stopped putting out a wireless signal so she called her phone company. They told her it would be over 120 dollars to replace it and that she had to have their router. I didn't think this was true so I went out and bought a 50 dollar Netgear from walmart, but never could get it to setup properly. I followed all my instructions and did everything I thought I should to just replace the router and use a new one.... I don't know bout that honestly. Anyone clarify what im suppose to do? Other then replace and follow directions in setting up the network?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

which linksys router are you using as in a, b, g or n series? is her's wireless or wired? what is it doing or not doing? did you disconnect the power & data cable to her modem for a 20 count after connecting the router?

3. Kamui2007

Kamui2007 Member

Linksys G. Her router is a wireless but can be wired which is what we're having to do to have a connection. I dont think I did do anything to her modem when I was trying to set the new one up, was I suppose to ?

4. ddp

try reseting both routers. the reset button is on the backside near the power connector & will need to use a pen to do that. press the reset button count to 10 then release the reset button. won't have any security when you do that but 1st make certain everything connects ok before re-doing the wireless security.

5. Kamui2007

Kamui2007 Member

Wondering if its my laptop with this linksys.. I was out a coffee shop and happened to see someone's Linksys with no security and I tried hopping on but it wouldn't let me.. So I then used the coffee shop's wifi =/

6. ddp

check for an updated driver for the wireless card but not from samsung but the wireless chipset manufacturer.