1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S-video stopped working on nvidia card

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by yinxaokim, Feb 8, 2009.

1. yinxaokim

yinxaokim Member

I have an older standard definition tv that I like using as a second monitor for movies and games. Just recently I moved and my previously-working-just-perfect setup completely stopped working, and I can't figure out why. Nothing that I can think of has changed besides the physical location of the computer and tv.

The video card is a Geforce 7300 LE with the latest drivers and I've been using the s-video out to good effect, until recently. I was able to set it up for clone or dual-view, whatever, and switch back and forth and everything.

After I moved, the tv stopped working when plugged in as normal, and for some reason, the nvidia control panel now only recognizes my computer's monitor (a Dell flatscreen) and a non-existent HDTV. So the only options I can pick are my monitor, an HDTV or both. Running the television setup wizard or the multiple-display wizard seems to do nothing, and when I pick the "force monitor detection" thing and reboot, again, it only seems to believe that I have an HDTV and the connection no longer works.

Also, on the "change HD format and signal type" thingy (I forget exactly what it's called, but that's about it...) I can't pick any options, it won't let me specify that I have a non-HD set connected with s-video.... it just says there's nothing connected....

I have no idea why it would just magically stop working after moving. In the past, if the monitor wasn't recognized or working, I'd just have to reboot with it plugged in. I know the s-video cable still works, I've tried it with another device, I know the tv's input still works, I've tried that cable and other devices, and other devices with their own s-video connection... is it my card? Is there some weird setting I'm missing?

I've googled around a bit but can't seem to find anyone else who's had the exact same issue, and I can't think of what else to do.... any ideas?

2. keico

keico Member

I have the exact same problem. Nvidia 8300 card. everything worked perfect. I got a new computer desk, and rearranged everything. Now when I hook up to svideo the signal looks sc rambled

Did you ever find a solution to your problem

3. yinxaokim

yinxaokim Member

I don't think it's the exact same problem, as I get no picture at all, it's like there's nothing connected, and my system won't recognize the monitor but thinks there's an hdtv hooked up...

Still haven't found any answers elsewhere on the web, went out and dropped 5 bucks for a composite cable at Radio Shack, guess what, same problem... I think there's just something wrong with the card.

4. karmaset

karmaset Member

I had the exact problem with my laptop and my CRT TV via s-video. It would detect the CRT TV as HDTV and wouldn't send the right signal. This setup had worked great until I moved it one day and it stopped working. After like 6 months and trying many things, I found the answer to my problem, and hopefully for you, yours. Apparently seating and reseating the s-video cable can mess with its connectors, resulting in only the luma part of the cable to touch, which the computer seems to recognize as HDTV. If you hold or push the cable at its connection to the computer the right way, plug in the other end to your computer and use the display settings to switch to dualview or whatever (without releasing the pressure on the s-video cable connection at the monitor, it should work. Once the compy goes to dualview, you can remove the pressure and find an appropriately weighted item to push against the connection to hold it in that place. Hope that works for you, good luck man.

5. yinxaokim

yinxaokim Member

I'm willing to try that out, but it seems weird to me, as I've tried using that cable with other devices and it works fine, so it makes me think it's actually the connection at the video card that's messed up... and why wouldn't the composite cable work either?

6. keico

keico Member

I owe you a debt of gratitude. I tried exactly what you said and it worked.

I kept playing with the svideo connection at the computer end, and it came through clear as day.

Now I won't have to ue my wifes laptop.

Thank you again so much

7. Turfy

Turfy Member

I have the exact same problem as you yinxaokim.... except i did no rearranging to my comp it was just working yesterday and today boom no s-video... and it shows hdtv for the signal so i cannot change it.... i know that there connected right cause i tried the card with laptop to my tv. And at first when i rebooted my comp after changing the settings it started working again but now it does nothing

8. Turfy

Turfy Member

Omg....i got my s-video to work after hours on end of trying different things and its sooo simple.... kk... try this...

1.start the nvidia control panel and switch it back to single monitor only with your comp screen being that monitor

2. Close down the nvidia control panel (its a must so it resets)

3. un-hook the s-video card from the t.v. (i didnt unhook it from my graphics card)

4. Un-unplug your t.v. from the wall outlet (don't just turn of the power)

5. wait 10-15 minutes or if you know how long it takes your t.v. to fully discharge...may very on size. (I also pressed and held the power button down for a couple of seconds to speed up discharge)

6. Plug s-video cord back into t.v.

7. Plug t.v. back in and turn on

8. Turn on nvidia control panel and put out to s-video

Hope this works for ya!!

9. sophee24

sophee24 Member

I am having the same problem- my s-video always worked now all (nvidia) of a sudden it won't work - only gives me HDTV option - I do not have a HDTV-
    I am so frustrated-can anyone please help me?