1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safely-Remove Hardware -- Help!!!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by juju1038, Jun 3, 2007.

1. juju1038

juju1038 Guest

Hello. I just built my first custom pc, and I have run into a problem. When I installed my lite-on dvd-rw LH-20A1L it is not recongnized by my computer. I can still burn cds dvs, and I can still use it in every way a recognized drive would, but the safely remove hardware icon on my system tray has this drive listed. I stupidly bought this product OEM (I didn't know what that meant at the time), so I don't have the install disk. So, how do I get this drive recognized by my pc???

Also, when I put a disk in my lite-on drive it doesn't autorun. I have to go to mycomputer and select the icon for the cd to run. I don't know if this is because my computer doesn't recognize the drive, but even when i load an iso onto a virtual drive it doesn't autoload. So, how can i set my computer to autoload a disk???

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

it's a SATA drive. It's normal for it to be listed on the safely remove hardware icon.

You write it "is not recognised by my computer" then you write "I can still use it in every way a recognized drive would".

Those two statements don't make sense.

Also you need to permit autorun for this drive. Right click the drive letter in Explorer and set it up in Properties.

3. juju1038

juju1038 Guest

What i was trying to say is that I can read and write disks like normal. But the drive is listed in the safely remove hardware window. Is there no way to get this off?

Also, I am confused on how to make it auto run. Can you please be more specific in the steps I need to take?

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

SATA drives are designed to be "hot-pluggable", just like USB drives. Hence, they will appear in the safely remove hardware list.

There is a utility called USB Safely Remove that costs $14.95 that allows you to remove items that you know you will never want to unplug, but I have read that it does not work after a reboot.

To enable autorun, you should right click the drive in Windows Explorer, then click "properties" in the menu that you will see, then click the "Autoplay" tab, then select the actions to take.

If this does not work, here is a small utility to set the actions to Windows defaults...

http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/MINKU/files/AutoFix.exe