1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same prob as dvdxcopy disc freezes half way in

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by zenarrrow, Feb 6, 2005.

1. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I was having probs with my dvdxcopy freezing, so I took some advice and went with dvd shrink and decrypter. Same problems. Now if it were the media would'nt it skip all the way through? Any other ideas guys? When I say freezes I mean the back up disc that I have burned freezes half way into the show. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  2. Gringle

Gringle Guest

It's difficult, without more information, .ie. pc ram, gig, burning programs, what media you're using and who yer tryin too, do it to, more details pls.

From what you've said I reckon you're files, ain't in the NTFS mode?
    But I ain't the brightest bulb, on the Christmas tree.

gringle

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2005
  3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I would say it's the media. It's obviously not the software, cause your having the same problems. Bad media can cause a bunch of different playback problems.

What brand of media are you using?

4. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Sorry i had to be away from the pc yesterday. I AM using phillips dvd+r 4x, Doesn't it seem that it would skip all the way through. I guess I will try tdk they didn't have any where I looked first but I saw some at another store. But the speed was 8x, will that make any difference, I was told to use 4x for dvdxcopy........does it matter on dvd shrink? The price was about the same. Could the quality be that different? Thanks for all the help guys.

5. brobear

brobear Guest

Recent manufacturers for Philips +R has been Ricoh and Mitsubishi, both manufacturers have a good rep. To check to see what you're using, download the free DVD Identifier and read the code on the disc. Then you can let us know. You may want to download DVDInfoPro and check the recorded disc for errors (it will read manufacturer codes as well). The TDK 4X +R is Ricoh and the 8X is both Ricoh and TDK. The -R is made by TY, MCC, and TDK. The only media in the bunch I'm not familiar with is the TDK manufactured media. The other manufacturers have some of the best reps in the industry. If you notice, the same companies that make media for TDK manufacture discs for Philips as well.

You may have gotten some bad media, it'll be interesting to see what happens when you try a differnet brand. Be sure to ID the manufacturer and let us know the brand, format and speed.

The reason for 4X media with DVDXCopy is to control the burn speed. No speed control, so it runs at max. Since 4X and below is recommended for burning video, the situation should be obvious. An 8X burner with 8X media would be burning too fast. If the burner is an older 4X then you can use whatever you want as long as the firmware is good for the media chosen. DVD Shrink has a speed control setting, so the burn speed can be set irregardless of burner and media max speeds.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2005
  6. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

OK the disc read this dvd+r: cmcmag f01-000 then it said cmc magnetic corp. I wll go buy some tdk 8x being though i can adjust on the decypter. Also could I have too many programs running in the back ground and how could I shut them down? I have heard of that enditall2 but that scares the hell out of me I don't want to use that.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

CMC is not one of the better media manufacturers. So, it may or may not be a media problem. Easy to check with the purchase of the better media. You can use task manager to shut down processes. Just be careful and don't shut down the system processes required by the OS to operate.

8. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

OK I bought some verbatim disc 4x, I also went into msconfig with startupexe and got rid of some progarms. Now I should shut down all virus scans and everything, right. Anyothers I should shut down thanks a million also where could I check to get a firmware update? for just my stock necdvd1100a drive?

9. brobear

brobear Guest

You can check the task manager to see if anything is running that draws off the system memory. As I mentioned, be sure it isn't a system required process when you shut one down. Then watch the task manager as the recording app runs to see if anything else is running at the same time. You can watch under the Performance tab in Task Manager to see how your processor and memory is functioning.

Firmware can usually be found at the support section of the manufacturer's website. I'd check there first. You can google and find sites that list firmware. Just list the model and put firmware in the search and you should come up with what you need if available.

Out of curiosity, who manufactured your Verbatim discs?

10. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I put the verbatim disc in the identifier and it came up unknown all catagories I tried twice. First off Where exactly is the task manager? Second, dvd shrink and decrypter together or dvdxcopy 4.0.3.8. which is best? Third, could it be my dvd player? The back up discs run great in my pc and I just checked my PS2 they work good in there as well. It is a GE it is about 5 yrs old....I would fell like an idiot if thats what it is.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

From what you just pointed out, PS2 and PC okay but acting up in the standalone, it could be the standalone. Take the disc and play it in another player. Most libraries have DVD players a person can use and there's always the video sections at the stores if you don't have a friend with a player handy. That's another of those things that is easy to check out. If I were you, I'd do that check before going much farther.

XCopy is more obsolete than Shrink. So Shrink with DVD Decrypter is more up to date and Shrink is better at editing. XCopy is just too over priced for what you get. If you want a good retail app, DVDCopy3 from InterVideo is my choice. It's high quality and fast. It's easy enough for beginners and delivers the quality to keep the experienced user happy. It uses files ripped with Decrypter or works with AnyDVD.

12. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I will try a f reinds. Now that I have about 5 copys of Bob Dylan unplugged......I have both Dvd shrink and decrypter and dvdxcopy dvdxcopy does the menus and what not will that affect the quaility of the back ups should I just back up the main movie?

13. brobear

brobear Guest

Menus don't take up that much space. So I always leave them in for the sake of navigation. Any time I do a back up, the first thing I like to do is check the middle and end to get an idea of how the recording went. If you check around, you'll find you can do a movie only with menu in the full disc section of Shrink. You insert Still Image in compression settings to replace the parts you want to delete.

14. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

O.K. Now going back to shuting down all programs is the best way to do that go into msconfig and shut down that way or thru the task manager( now I Go to to process in the task manger and end processes?. Will it let me go in again and start them?)

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Use MsConfig, that is the best option.

16. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

At this point I am pretty confident it is my stand alone player, are you? The two movies I have backuped both play in PC and PS2, but pixilate and freeze half way through on my GE dvd player.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

The first thing I'd do would be to check the disks on a known good standalone. It's the quickest and easiest way to compare. It definitely is starting to look like you found your problem.

18. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Yes, I tried it on my childs portable car dvd player and they work fine. On another subject Everytime I have to reboot my system it crashes and does n't start right (blue screen) would you know of any forums for that? If you do it would be great. I just want to thank you and every body for all the help it has been actually fun. You all have been great.

19. brobear

brobear Guest

You're welcome. Sometimes it's helpful just to have someone to be a sounding board. You did most of the figuring out with just a few directions.

DVD Hounds, http://www.dvdhounds.com is a new site for computer help. Check with Sophocles there, he's something of a computer guru. He has a day job, so figure responses accordingly. Computer Forum is another site. http://www.computerforum.com/index.php? You can google with "PC help forums" as the search criteria and find others.

Good luck and glad you're enjoying the forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2005