1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung DVD-VR357 - How Do I Record?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by kcgeorge, Nov 20, 2008.

1. kcgeorge

kcgeorge Member

I know...you're thinking "What a dummy! He can't even read the Instruction Manual."

Maybe you are RIGHT!

I've had over 20 years of hands-on experience in radio (configuring lots of equipment and connections) and have set up and dubbed my own videos from one machine to another including DVDs on my computer, but I can't figure out how to simply record a DVD from a VHS tape on this thing! I am stumped and really feel helpless.

I must have trashed 8 or 9 discs trying to follow the alledgedly simple instructions, none of which say 1. Do this 2. Now, do this. 3. Push this button and do THIS next....etc. I know I'm missing something and after carefully re-reading the manual several times, I just can't find it.

If you can answer here or send me an email, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks to all in advance for taking time to read this.

2. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Before we proceed any further, are you using quality discs or cheapies. That's as good as any place to start looking. Assuming the VHS tape doesn't have macrovision copy protection > Red, white, yellow out from tape deck. Red, white, yellow in to DVD recorder. DVD recorder press "record". Tape deck press "play". When finished finalize DVD disc. Done.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  3. kcgeorge

kcgeorge Member

Pesh, Thanks for the reply--but it wasn't about the media. It was about the actual "how to" record process.....

And about an hour after I posted the original message here, I told my wife about it. She thumbed through the user's guide and pointed out to me the sections titled " To copy from VCR to DVD" and "Direct Copy: VCR to DVD," which indeed had the procedure spelled out in steps, 1, 2, 3 etc.

Problem solved.

But in closing my case, I plead only SEMI-ignornance.

See, the reference to these sections is the last in the list under "VCR Recording." As soon as I saw that section header, I stopped reading the sub-listings, because I was only concerned with DVD recording, which was listed in another section ABOVE "VCR Recording." My literal mind reasoned "You don't need to waste time reading about VCR Recording, because that's not what you're looking for."

Does that make me an unintentional dummy?

4. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

No. It makes you human. Enjoy your shows all over again.