1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung TS-H552

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Stuman, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Stuman

Stuman Member

Hi guys,

Wondering if you guys can help.
    I've recently had my dvd burner replaced under warranty. I got a Samsung TS-H552 16 speed job.

Well the problem I'm having is that it hasn't not failed yet. I've done around 10 dvd's since install and each of them fails to perform the end of disc.

Most of them do work in my dvd player but it is a touch annoying, as not all of them work.

Any Ideas guys?

2. aulax

aulax Member

I am having the same problem. I have been searching the net looking for solutions. Here is what I have found so far:

1. The problem could be Nero v6.x. Numerous people have had problem with that version of software, whihc is the same that cam with my Samsung drive. I have tried uninstalling, going to an older version, with the same result. I have also tried Easy CD Creator, as well as the DVD burner that comes with TMPGenc, but again have gotten the same result. I can however burn CD's just fine.

2. PIO vs. DMA. My DVD burner is running in PIO mode. This can be checked under the advanced tab for the IDE controller in Device Manager. Both the controller and the device connected to it have to support DMA in order for it to work. I am going to swap out the 40 pin cable that came with the system with a good quality 80 pin cable to see if that makes a difference.

3. The media can make a difference as well. Cheap media can have problems. A good grade, hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction. RiData, Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets.

Hope that helps. Will leet you know is replacing the cable helps or not.

3. Stuman

Stuman Member

I have kept the settings the same since having my MSI 4 speed drive taken out. It worked just fine.

The media shouldn't be a problem as I only use ritek printables.

Not sure about the other bit though.

Anyone else.

4. aulax

aulax Member

Finally found the issue, the BIOS was set for non-PNP OS, as well as not correctly identifing the devices on the IDE channels. Once I set the Master as a CDROM, I was then able to enable DMA in the BIOS. Once done, the drive has worked fine.

5. Stuman

Stuman Member

I'm a bit of a newbie at this (Can do Bios on an xbox, not dvd burner. lol)

Any chance you could direct me to a guide or take me through the steps needed to acheive this?

My warranty runs out next week so if this doesn't work I have no time....

Cheers

Stewart

6. CJC

CJC Regular member

Take the Samsung back and get another drive :)

Ive seen a few comptuers with Samsung drives and they have had nothing but trouble with their Drives.

Also Stand-Alone Samsung Players dont like reading Backed Up DVD's.

I wouldnt touch Samsung with a 10 foot pole imo....

:)

CJC

7. Stuman

Stuman Member

The shop where I got it aren't very good though.

they will test it on their machines before even considering it and then just give a replacement exactly the same.

I asked for anything but a Samsung when I got it as I've heard nothing but bad reviews. They wern't going for it at all. Tried to tell me they were the shit. No problems whatsoever.

What pisses me off the most is that I paid £125 for the dvd burner I got originally only to be replaced with a £40 Samsung.

Obviously buying nothing there again.

8. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hummm, £125 for the dvd burner replaced with a £40 Samusung, now thats crazy.

If the drive isnt working, you should have the option, even if you dont get a 'refund' but be able to change to another drive for the same price or similar from there.

I think they are 'shit' and need to do some reading and testing with those drives, because IMO i would never buy a Samsung Optical Drive or DVD Player, not really sure about their other products.

I wouldnt buy anything from there again.

What is the place where you bought it from?

CJC

9. Stuman

Stuman Member

Just a small shop in Perth (UK).

It was a year ago I originally bought the drive and the technology has become a lot cheaper since.

But I was kinda hoping for a Pioneer A108 or something...

Anyway, I'll have a look and see if I can fix this bios issue, if not it'll be back to the shop.

10. Kyri

Kyri Guest

My samsung TS-H552 burns no problem and was fine until yesterday when it suddenly stopped playing my pc-dvd's ie pro evolution 4 and also pro evo 3 when i thought the disk was the problem. thing is it plays DVDs and CDs. anyone have any advice on this?
    with the PC-DVDs it basically stutters instead of reading it smooth.
    one other twist is that my older cd-rw/dvd player is also doing the exact same thing. they are both set up on the computer together.
    any help would be much appreciated.

<sorry started it as a new thread cos bit new to this forum. my mistake. help would probably be better there. Sorry again>

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2004
  11. Stuman

Stuman Member

problems seems to be sorted now. Needed to upgrade to a newer nero.