1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung UE40B8000 LED TV - question

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by FlanT, Nov 3, 2009.

1. FlanT

FlanT Member

hello all
    just got the above very nice unit, i have a question for any of you that has this unit also...

The TV image seems to be half normal (to the left) and half darker (to the right) and is seperated bang on half was down the image in the dead centre. its almost like its got some auto contrast setting enabled to make the right hand side of the image darker due to lighting.. is this a feature which i can disable? I've looked through the menus but not seen how to get rid of it yet......... thanks

2. dailun

dailun Active member

Sounds like a defective TV to me. Did it look that way in the store?

3. FlanT

FlanT Member

Yeah in the store it looked ok.. but because i thought this might be a TV setting and has adjusted itself automatically in my home, i didnt think tiwce about it.
    Anyway i've called Samsung and it does look its faulty after all, they're sending out an engineer. Gutted.. only had it 5 days!

4. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

I've seen the Samsung 8000, and man is the screen ever reflective, and it has poor off-viewing angles. The 8500 offers better picture quality but still has the same issues with the 8000.

Trade it in for a Samsung Plasma Series 8, it's around the same price as the 8000, if not cheaper in some stores, and the picture quality is outstanding. And it has no issues like; reflective screens, or poor viewing angles as almost all LED LCD's.

Before, I've used to be bias and leaned more towards LCD's, because they were a lot better then Plasmas. Now it's the other way around, Plasma used to have very reflective screens, now LCD's do. In plain short, unless companies fix the issues with LED's, go with the Plasma.

5. FlanT

FlanT Member

ok mike thanks for your feedback, i might consider that.
    I had the samsung engineer out and confirm that either the backlight or even the panel was faulty and i need to go and return it.. so while in there i might see what else they have.
    thanks again