1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SB Audigy Firewire vs Canopus ADVC-100 ?!

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by jvidia, Sep 13, 2004.

1. jvidia

jvidia Member

Hello Afterdawn comunity .... this is my 1st post here ;-)

Ok, let's start.

I've been reading all over the net, for the past few days, about the Canopus ADVC-100. It looks like a great solution for my need to pass my Hi8 tapes to digital format. If all goes well as expected, I will also try to make some money by doing some work on passing tapes to DVD.

My doubt now is if the ADVC-100 will work fine when connected to the firewire port of my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ?

Anyone connects there ?

Thanks.

2. turkey

turkey Regular member

i am assuming that you have the audigy card currently installed. if you open window's device manager then you should see the audigy card listed under "Sound, Video and Game Controllers", but you should also see a OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 (Firewire) device under "IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers". this device is all that is really necessary for the ADVC-100 to connect properly to your computer.

i personally do not have an Audigy card installed in my computer at the moment, so if your window's device manager does not list the things i have mentioned, let me know what things it does list...

3. jvidia

jvidia Member

OK , I've just just bought the ADVC-100 and to my surprise it doesn't bring a 6pi male-6pin male firewire cable, just a 6pin-4pin firewire cable !!

Crap ...

I want to connect it to the 6pin firewire port in my SoundBlaster Audigy and now I have to buy a 6pin-6pin firewire cable !!!

2 questions :

- Any 6pin-6pin firewire cable will do the job ?
    Any recommended brand ?? I've seen some from ProfiGold and they seen *****

- What is the use for the 6pin male - 4pin male that come with the ADVC-100 !??

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  4. turkey

turkey Regular member

some firewire cards have 4pin but most have 6pin, so basically the canopus people are being idiots for packageing the 4pin. that's how these things go sometimes. you will need a 4pin if you are connecting a DV camera...

anyway, no worries about type/brand of 6pin to 6pin cable to buy. in fact, you will pay more just for a brand name. they are all the same cable. usually the cables come with a braided metal insulation surrounded by a thick clear plastic insulation.

enjoy your new toy, later...

5. jvidia

jvidia Member

Now I understand why 4-6 pin firewire cable ...

In my head I had the idea of connecting the ADVC-100 to my PC by the 6 pin firewire port located at the back of the ADVC-100.

But after reading the a "How-To use the ADVC-100" in a .pdf downloaded from the Canopus site, I understand why the 4-6 pin cable .... it's because Canopus uses, in the connect example, not the back 6 pin firewire port to connect to a PC but the front 4 pin firewire port !!

It isn't very usefull, because if I put the ADVC-100 on top of my case I will have the firewire cable going from the front of the ADVC-100 to the back of my PC case :-(((

Looks bad ...

Will be there any problem if I connect it to the PC by the 6 pin firewire port located in the back of the ADVC-100 ?!?

After all, all firewire ports (back & front) are I/O ports ....

Any advice from you ADVC-100 owners ?!?

6. bdoughty

bdoughty Member

Well, yes, it looks bad, but it works. I've used the ADVC-100 for over a year with the Audigy card and Scenalyzer and everything's fine...

7. wmott

wmott Member

I am a school teacher wishing to use our mac's (eMac & iBooks) to inport video from a video camera used in my lab. The video camera is a small one on a flexible arm (FlexCam) that has both RGB and S-video ends. Would the Canopus ADVC100 suit the needs of importing video so students can edit footage for short movies?

8. jvidia

jvidia Member

wmott, you can connect by s-video to the ADVC-100 since it doesn't have RGB connection.

9. hankduck

hankduck Guest

Apparently all (both 4 and 6 pin) firewire cables are bidirectional.