1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Systems Throughout The World

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by GrandpaBW, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Ye well its cos i cba to rite propa so tbh i dnt care nemore nd if u thnk any1 in there rite mind rly tlks liek this thn u need shootin

Hmm, I tried my hardest to talk like a farktard; I'm not that good at it.

I have to say this does p!ss me off too. When you are trying to read someone's post in an effort to help them and it contains NO punctuation, is all spelt wrong and is generally gramatically incorrect, it does get on my tits.

What bugs me is the fact that they can write properly (well, for the most part - there are a few exceptions) but they choose not to. **Bangs Head On Wall**

And another thing is msn talk in general. Whenever I'm on Msn talking to my friends, the worst it gets is "lol" with the occasional "lmao" thrown in for good measure. Why can't they do the same? It's not especially quicker to write like that and is a complete pain in the arse to read, so why?! It also puts you in bad practise for when you come to type up English essays and the like, as you find yourself typing "becos" or "u" instead of the real words. >.<

Oh well.

Bai, ttly ;-)

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

We received a memo from the state telling us that they were having a hard time filling secretarial and clerk typist positions because applicants couldn't write and spell properly. The memo blamed messaging.

On the original subject, 53% of those who start high school in Philadelphia drop out by the end of the tenth grade. Because of my job, I have to go to the Philly high schools from time to time and every time I do, I can't help but think that if I had to go to high school there, I would have probably dropped out to. They're violent, graffiti covered pits from hell. The area high schools are really in the new here a lot lately because they're so dangerous. West Philadelphia High School alone had 16 serious assaults on teachers; the most recent was a teacher who had his neck broken by a student because the teacher took his walkman until the end of the day. They don't expell kids anymore so what happens is that the good kids are so afraid of school that they drop out in favor of GED programs where they feel much safer but which they seldom complete. I live downtown in one of the better areas and even there it isn't safe ... two years ago, a kid in the school across the street from me stabbed and killed his teacher ... he was in the fourth grade!

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Sounds pretty rough Gerry :S

When you put it in perspective, my school is actually alright.. Lol.

4. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

The High School I attend has 5 on campus police officers at all times. It isn't surpriseing to see at least one student tased every day. You are right Schools are dangerous. I was walking down the halls on day with my girl friend and some guy walks by and slaps her ass. I don't even remember what I said, but he turns around and pulls out a 4 inch butterfly knife on comes towards me. He came within a foot with me when I went for the knife. When people around us saw what was happening, me and 2 other guys were able to get the knife away from him. Lucky for me that this happened in the main hall, the only hall that has Surveillance cameras and the whole thing was caught on tape, so I wasn't also arrested.

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Domeris....That's really terrible. Obviously, Philly has the same problem. I never went to public schools but they didn't have those problems when I was a kid because the schools didn't put up with that crap. I was lucky, I always went to private schools. I come from a very religious family and the whole area was Catholic (I didn't know anyone who wasn't a catholic until I was eighteen). In those days, catholics had to send their kid to the parish school which, in those days, were free to parish kids as were the high schools. In high school and some of my college, I was a boarding student at this rather posh catholic high school (a seminary actually). Here's a pic of the place:

[​IMG]

I can't tell you how much fun I had there. We use to sled all the way down the hill, over the wall and right onto the ice (the bay use to freeze solid in those days but not anymore ... tell me there's no such thing a global warming!) There were three long tunnels under all that lawn going to a huge boathouse which isn't in the pic ... they used it to smuggle booze during the prohibition. There were also these hidden secret passages throughout the house. I was third in my class which isn't saying much as we had a graduating class of 8 LOL! I feel sorry for kids who have to attend such nasty and violent schools and I thank my lucky stars that I had it considerably better when it came to schools.

Edit: The photo is actually the back of the house; the front faced the bay. They also used it to film the movie "Meet Joe Black" or something like that with Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2007
  6. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

That place looks nice. The School I go to is very poor because the School district spent 1 million in court fees just to fire one teacher. The first case went up to the Supreme court, the second case sealed the deal when he sexually assaulted a student. This happened about 11 years ago and the School district is still trying to recover.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Domeris ... you wrote:

LMAO! You sexually assaulted someone eleven years ago? When you were three years old? I know boys mature sexually at a younger age than they use to but that's extraordinary! LOL!

Can you go to a private school ... or perhaps transfer to a better public high school? You're a bright kid and for obvious reasons, schools usually teach to the status quo of its students; schools in disadvantaged areas usually teach at a level beneath the national average. Are you bored in school?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2007
  8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yeah, I think he meant the teacher sexually assulted someone. I had to read that a few times though.. Lol.

9. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Sorry about that. LOL! It was 2:30, and I had just got home from a party. No, I am attending the Best School in the area. There is only one private School within 20 miles, and they only offer K-8! The only other High School in my area's average GPA is 1.8, and the School that I am attending has a average GPA of 2.9. I am only bored in one class and that is English. It may be because that everyone but 2 other studens and I actually know how to read. The rest of the class is still at about a 3rd grade reading level; the main reason for that is that have all fried their brains using Meth and other drugs.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  10. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Weed is the worst I've ever done and I would consider myself way above the average intelligence of my class. I have a GPA of 2.98... not bad, C- average. But I don't really do *all* of my homework lol. Most have problems reading and most had never even heard of Julius Caesar until we started the unit last week.

I don't think drugs are as much of a problem as schools and communities coddling their kids. The only truants we have are caught and fined heavily.

11. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

They never heard of Julius Caesar? Damn, how can they NOT know...his salads are everywhere :)