1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secondary IDE CDRW/DVDRW combo

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by daztippy, May 16, 2004.

1. daztippy

daztippy Member

I have a small problem with the secondary IDE channel on my PC. (This is the second motherboard of this type I've seen this on).

I have been trying to get both CDRW and DVDRW drives working in this PC. Putting either of them, on their own on the secondary IDE channel. Neither will spin up a data disk, but both will see an audio CD. If I configure them as listed below, the slave drive works perfectly, but the master drive will only play audio CD's. If I swap the drives over (i.e. reconfigure master and slave), exactly the same. The slave drive is fine, master dont work properly. I have tried switching to PIO mode, doesn't make any difference.

If I have just one drive on the secondary channel, either as master or slave. Doesn't work. Slaving one of them off IDE 1 does work ok.

With both drives installed, I can boot from either of them so I dont believe this to be a bios issue, more of a driver issue in Win2k.

System is....
    AMD Athlon XP2400+
    2 x 512MB PC2100 DDR
    PC Chips Syntax SV266A Motherboard (KT266A Northbridge and VT8235 Southbridge)
    Sapphire Radeon 7000 AGP Graphics (not great but it works...)

Primary IDE
    - Master - Seagate 80GB HDD (ATA 100)

Secondary IDE
    - Master - LG 52x32x52x IDE DRIVE - GCEW8525
    - Slave - Sony DVDRW/CDRW - DWU-18A

Windows 2000 with all updates, and VIA 4 in 1 drivers. Tried both Hyperion and earlier drivers.

Any ideas as this is beginning to drive me insane :-(

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2004
  3. daztippy

daztippy Member

Using a 40 wire IDE cable (instead of 80) fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Most intriguing .... might the 80wire cable be faulty?