1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sector error - Please Help!!!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dipsy, Jan 9, 2005.

1. dipsy

dipsy Member

Hi there,
    I just got a dvd burner for christmas and I am having so many problems with it. First of all, I have no idea where the problem is coming from, so I'll let you know everything that I am using. The dvd burner is an I/O Magic 16x External Drive. The software I am using is 1 Click DVD Copy. Finally, I have tried media from Memorex (which I realized was bad later, but doesn't seem to be the problem), Phillips DVD-R's, and Verbatim DVD+R's. I am actually having 2 problems randomly with every media I try. The first problem is that the process errors out during the finalizing stage with errors stating either "Write failed", "Writesector failed at sector . . . Code 05 21 02 [Illegal request, invalid address for write]", or "Write error detected at sector . . . ". Most of the time I get one or two of these errors, but sometimes I get all 3. Then once in a while, the copy gets completed; however, even then, they only play in my dvd player about half of the time (and both dvd-r's and dvd+r's have worked sometimes). At this point I have no idea if the problem is in the hardware or the software or maybe the media (though I have heard a lot of good about verbatim & seem to be having very bad luck with that too). The phillips seem to be working the best & they are the only dvd-r's that I have tried. Is it maybe harder for my burner to do the +r's? Is there some setting that I maybe need to change when I use the +r's? I have tried setting my speed everywhere from maximum to very slow, and also tried matching it to each dvdr that I use? I have no idea what to do & I don't even know where to start. I have already gone through over 70 dvdr's and have made less than 10 successful backups. If anyone out there has any idea what I need to do to fix this, I would be eternally grateful. Thanks for looking?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

My first suggestion would be to visit I/O Magic's support page and look for an updated firmware. Firmware is a set of instructions that reside in a small chip in the burner. They instruct the burner on media recognition and writing strategy with said media so this may help.

Also, is the drive connected to a USB 1.1 or 2.0 port? This link will help if you're not sure:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000602.htm

3. dipsy

dipsy Member

Hey there,
    We've updated the firmware twice already. Once right away when we installed it, and again about a week later after we were having problems. The second time we updated it, everything seemed to work, but then after 2 dvd's it started with the same errors again. That was just a few days ago. Should I be checking the firmware every time I try to use it? And the USB port was a 1.1, but we already got the card to update it to 2.0 (which also seemed to fix the problem, but again after one successful try, the errors came back). Any ideas?? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have!

4. Nephilim

You're way ahead of me then :p

My next guess would be something to do with the software. As a test you may want to install the trial versions of CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD and see if that gets us anywhere. Here's the link:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/

Last edited: Jan 10, 2005
  5. dipsy

dipsy Member

If anyone is there, I was going to try dvd decryptor to see if my decryptor might be the problem (using dvd43 right now), but can't seem to get an apsi layer downloaded properly. I believe I am technologically retarded. Any ideas?

6. Nephilim