1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sending edited AVI to DVcam... please please help!!

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by vanna, Sep 29, 2003.

1. vanna

vanna Member

I capture ok with my JVC DVcam.
    I edit the AVI using Showbiz.

I then attempt to send the AVI back to my DVcam.

While it is transferring (I view it through the LCD screen on the Camera), in SOME parts, the picture and audio becomes jerky, with a sort of scratchy audio. This happens for about 10 seconds, then goes back to normal only to do it again a few minutes later... Dropping Frames??

What is this, I run no other programs during the process... virus software is disabled etc.

The file size is only 5GB.
    Using Windows XP Home.

What can I do to stop this??
    Almost seems like my pc is not transferring fast enough or at the correct rate... During a 20min movie, while transf to dv cam, this problem happens about 10 times.

Could it be that my pc is not fast enough??

If I buy a dvd burner, could I have the same problem burning to that??
    It burns ok to (S)VCD after encoding to MPEG, but as I want to keep the original quality, I want to send it back to the dvcam.

Sorry for being repetitive, but this is becoming very annoying and am slowly losing interest in the whole editing and movie hobby that I have.

Please help desperately... any guidance would be much appreciated.

2. malum

malum Regular member

I have never transferred back to the camera as I burn directly to DVD (which you should have no problem with BTW)

I assume that you are using firewire for the transfer? If so it should be plenty fast enough to cope.
    I also assume that you have your IDE channels set to DMA? If not then you need to.

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I'm guessing the same as malum: the HDD your video is in, doesn't have its DMA mode enabled, this results in slow reading speed in times and causes dropped frames.

I've done couple of transfers back to miniDV using DVIO as a software and had no trouble at all.

4. vanna

vanna Member

Thanks for your help.

Yes, I am using a firewire.

But I am not sure what the IDE channels are, could you please explain how to access the area on windows xp.
    How do I enable the DMA mode if it's not already?

My apologies for sounding a bit dumb.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2003
  5. malum

malum Regular member

Hold down the windows key (the one with the logo on it that you thought was useless) and press the 'pause break' button (top right)

Click the hardware tab then the device manager button

On the list of hardware you'll see IDE controllers.
    double click on the first and then the advanced tab.
    Set it to 'DMA if available'
    Do the same for the second
    click OK

Now this may not work as XP locks out DMA if it has experienced errors with it enabled.
    To re-enable it right click on each of the controllers above and click un-install.
    Then reboot
    Then follow the instructions as above.

If the above doesn't work then you might consider visiting the Motherboard manufacturers website and downloading the latest IDE drivers.

6. vanna

vanna Member

Thanks Malum for your reply and guidance.

I went through this procedure last night and found that both devices were setup up already as DMA mode, so I didn't need to change anything.

So, I am back to square 1 again... any other suggestions?

I have used dRD suggestion (above) of downloading DVIO, but this didn't work when I tried to open a file, an error message came up.

I just find it so annoying that I have this particular problem and it is not a common one apparently, I cannot see any other related topics on any forums.

Why is this happening?? I enjoy editing etc so much and this problem has made me lose interest in it. I've only had my new pc for a couple of months, so I'm surprised at this.

Please help.

7. dRD

I just suggest same as others -- don't bother transferring the data back to miniDV, but burn it to DVDR or CDR instead.

8. vanna

vanna Member

Yeh thanks...

The trouble is that I don't have a DVD burner yet and all I can make are poor quality (S)VCD, so this was the only solution to preserve and store the edited footage.

I obviously can't store a 5GB movie on a CDR unless I encode to MPEG, I don't have a DVD burner, so I thought the next best thing to preserving the original quality is to send it back to the dv tape and store it on there.

By what your saying, I suppose I only have 1 option... buy a DVD burner, which is unfortunate because it would be convenient to store edited movies on a set of DV tapes.

Many thanks to "Malum" and "dRD" for their assistance.

If there is any other advice or help on this, it would be very much appreciated... I still want to tackle this because it limits me a bit.

9. dRD

One way: CDs are cheap, ridiculously cheap actually. Simply use some compression program (set it to "store" as they can't actually compress the video at all or only 1% or so) to split the .avi into 650MB files and burn those files to CDs, therefor keeping EXACTLY the original quality for future purposes.

10. venprods

venprods Member

Vanna,
    I think the problem is your video card, it won't be fast enough to refresh the video frames.

Remember that you won't get the original quality unless you capture in uncompress mode.