1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serial cable to network help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mwr_allen, Apr 2, 2014.

1. mwr_allen

mwr_allen Member

Hi All,

My workplace has an old TimeWare clocking in system that has a serial cable that connects to a pc in our accounts department for timekeeping and our accounts office has had to be moved to a separate building where the serial cable cannot reach and now cant connect to the pc.

The pc is on the same network that is in the building where the clocking in system is but I am wondering if the serial cable from the clocking in machine can be connected via an adapter into our internal network without causing any disruption to our network and then be able to be used over the network by the accounts computer that it was originally connected to.

I might add that although the machine still works fine the TimeWare machine is so old that the last person to support it from the company has retired and no other person from the company knows anything about the machine thus the old serial cable.

Any help with this would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Marcus.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

There are usb to serial adapters tho whether it'll work in the manner you want is another matter

what about connecting the time keeper to a computer as it was before & use the network to connect that computer to the accounts computer & access it that way

that's all i got until a real IT person turns up...lol..

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i agree on the use of a standalone computer because once working the monitor, keyboard & mouse can be taken away to be used later. can use an old p4 or lower to run that on your network.

4. mwr_allen

mwr_allen Member

Hi, thanks for the replies, I did consider putting in an old pc to use on a remote connection basis but I was told by our accountant that it was not something that they wanted to do although the old office where it was before is now being used by our managing director so I am considering now that I transfer all the program files to his pc and then shortcut the .exe program file over the network to the accounts computer in the new office. This would be the easiest way to do it although it would mean that the MD's computer must stay on all the time basically being a server.

Will see today what's plausible.

Thanks again for your replies.

Marcus.