1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious loss in sound quality after burning CD

Discussion in 'Audio' started by MarcS, Aug 1, 2003.

1. MarcS

MarcS Member

When I want to burn my wav files to CD using Nero (5.5.7.8) the sound gets distorted. In general the 'body' or lower frequency of the sound is diminished and I hear distortions in the mid/high frequency range. (some sort of clipping?) I tried to burn at lower speeds but the problem remains. I've never had this problem before. Does anyone have a clue what the problem is?

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Where are you getting the wav files from?
    It sounds like they are the culprit here, possibly due to too much compression or limiting, maybe even bit truncation.
    Can you give me some more details please?

3. MarcS

MarcS Member

I get them from DVD. Firstly I rip the DVD and then demux the audio track(s) to WAV using DVD2AVI. When I listen to the WAV's on the comp there's no problem, but when I burn them on CD, the sound gets distorted.

4. MarcS

MarcS Member

Additionally, using a different route (e.g. demuxing to the original audio format (AC3) using DVD2AVI converting to MP3 using BeSweet and then burning to CD) gives the same result: MP3's are fine, CD is distorted.

5. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

This sounds like artifacts in the audio streams. It could be baused by 2 things - either the original Dolby Digital conversion for the DVD, or more likely turning these files back into WAV for burning to CD Audio is showing up all the problems inherent in using any form of lossy compression.
    Can you email me an extract of some of the original AC3 and your converted .WAV files please, and I'll take a closer look at them for you.
    neilwilkes@opusproductions.com
    filesizes are unlimited on my server, so don't worry about that.

6. minix

minix Member

AFAIK, Nero can't burn anything different from 44,100Hz-16bits-stereo WAVs.

Can the burned discs be ripped to WAV and sound correctly?
    In this case, the problem is between your player and media.
    Have you tried another burning software? It shouldn't make a difference in audio quality, but... Feurio is clean and better than Nero.

7. MarcS

MarcS Member

The WAV's that I have made are 48.000 KHz, 16 bit, stereo. However, when I convert directly from AC3->MP3 and then burn with Nero I have the same problem...
    Secondly, ripping the cd back to wav gives a wav with bad sound quality.
    Anyway, I will give Feurio a try and see what happens.

8. MarcS

MarcS Member

I just resampled the wav to 44.100 KHz and burned it with Nero and it seems to do the trick. I can't hear any distortions anymore on the CD. I'll be off resampling the rest of the wav's :)
    Thanks for the tip!
    Marc

9. minix

minix Member

so Nero accepts the 48KHz WAV, and then it burns it incorrectly... amazing.

If you want a burning software that resamples those WAVs "on the fly", you can use Feurio, but I don't know the quality of the used algorithm.

10. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

I remember reading about this some time ago.

Most CD-R programs fail to resample audio 48-44.1 succefully on the fly. I recommend using the SSRC tool (http://shibatch.sourceforge.net/) or similar for the conversion.