1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setting up a small network for a school in Africa

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by funky01, Sep 18, 2011.

1. funky01

funky01 Member

HP Proliant Server

Specs:
    RAM: 2048 MB
    Intel 2.00GHz
    HDD: 500GB

I am a Peace Corps volunteer that is station in Ghana. I am working in a college computer lab. I am trying to get there lab up and running. What I have done is installed Ubuntu on a HP server that was donated. I have installed Oracle VM Virtual Box and is using Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition as the virtual machine. I have setup DNS, DHCP, Routing and Remote Access, and IIS. I have setup a LAN. The LAN is working excellent. I have developed a simple HTML script on IIS and have all the computers in the computer lab pulling up my simple HTML script. All the computers in the lab can ping and see each other.

The problem is that none of the computers, including my server, can pull up a webpage on the World Wide Web. None of my computers can ping or traceroute any of the servers on the World Wide Web.

Now on the DNS side, I can do a nslookup and query my DNS all day long. My DNS can pull many different IP addresses of any Domain that I requested. I used my ISP DNS as the forwarder. When I go to different computers in my computer lab and do a nslookup, there is no problem, they can query the DNS just fine. They can even switch to different DNS servers and query them with no problem. The problem I am having is that I cannot pull up a typical internet webpage on the World Wide Web. I can not ping a typical webpage on the World Wide Web, or I can not do a traceroute to a server on the World Wide Web.

There is those out there that would say that I would need a typical router. The school has one, but it is broken. Somebody donated to the school a broken Linksys router.

I am trying to get the school network up and running before the kids return back from break which is on the 27th of this month. Can someone please help me?

Oh yeah..........I do have two NIC cards. Both are static, one is pointing to the ISP and the other is pointing to the LAN.

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

sorry.. didn't see your post until now (not that this site is any good for your kind of question really)

mistakes.. Oracle VM running totally crap winblows?.. why did you do that?? over complicated and obviously not understanding what you need (which is no more than running..if you are using crapdoze on the workstations samba on the main server for file sharing), and then a passthrough in iptables defined to subdomains on the LAN.

It's a simple and common mistake.. you need to "allow" port 80 and 8080 through your server from subdomain (lan) to WAN (outside).. these are set to "drop" by default.. with dhcp set up you have a router using the LAN allocated nic on the server xx