1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shocking sound when plugging in power cord

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Yomoska, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Yomoska

Yomoska Member

I noticed this when I was playing a game and started hearing this crunchy sound and I thought something must of fallen over or something onto some crumbs but it was coming from the place where the power cord plugs into. I turned it off and it still does it even after a year. How would you fix this?

2. steimy

steimy Active member

I would have that checked out by a professional. And until then unplug it as it is possible that an electrical problem could start a fire.

3. vcbc

vcbc Regular member

Yea, sounds like there are some burned solder in there... maybe right where the power cable is connected to. Its a easy fix, however it is also a dangerous one since the power supply holds alot of voltage even when unplugged. I personally would not mess with it.

4. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

As stated above, you'll find that the connector points for the plug have shorted out. This is fixable, but unless you have some experience with soldering and electronics, don't touch it.

I can walk you through it, but you'll have to be able to solder well, replace the fuses, etc.

**NOTE**

You can discharge the power supply by unplugging the Xbox, then pressing the 'Power' button followed by the 'Eject' button.

You should do this EVERY time you open you Xbox!

The capacitors in the PSU are only small, but can hold enough charge for about 4 hours that's big enough to kill you...

5. Yomoska

Yomoska Member

I guess I should look around for someone who knows how to repair it then, I don't want to contact microsoft or some game company because I have a mod chip. Thanks guys.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  6. steimy

steimy Active member

If you live in the USA then contact Teammodders.com
    In the UK Ghost2fitter would be your best bet.
    They are both sites that mod for a living and will have no problems with it being modded.