1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I Plan A Funeral for My Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by NovaTiger, Mar 21, 2005.

1. NovaTiger

NovaTiger Member

I feel kind of guilty about posting two topice in a row, but I figured that since this problem is probably independent of my last one (it's just coincidence that they happened within 24 hours of each other, right?) I'd post it seperate.

My computer HAD two hard Drives (Master-40gig and slave-250gig) and one day my slave starts making a weird scratching kind of noise like the disk is rubbing in a place as it spins. Even though it's my secondary, Windows XP can't boot; it just shows the black screen with the small windows image and the blue...loading(?) or progress(?) bar at the bottom--the one just before it would normally go to blue. I pulled the power plug on the 2nd HD and set the master to primary. Windows then booted fine (but with some expected error messages). Is the hard drive dead? I can't test it right now because the next day when I booted it, I developed my other problem.

Seeing as how many other problems I've been having with computers this year (my laptop hard drive died twice and the mobo on another computer I bought used, to loan to a friend at college before I used it for parts, fried within a couple of weeks). The computer gods, it seems, have decided I needed a little less hair on my head.

2. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

YES bye bye its gone

3. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Man, this is certainly not your year is it?

4. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

I would have first went into BIOS and disabled or turned off the slave drive (ie; drv 1 the one making noise) Since, primary drv 0 (40GB drive) has the OS you should be fine; some apps may have been installed pointing to slave drive, hence, some of your errors. The master drive is still ok, right?? Does your 250GB drive have a warranty?? I'd package her up and send her in. Let us know.