1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silent Hill 3 PC Game and Geforce

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by neney1, Nov 11, 2003.

1. neney1

neney1 Member

Well I have just had a quick look and a Geforce4 TI is around £100 plus thats about $169 see everything in England is expensive!!!!!!!

2. av_3000

av_3000 Member

There should still be a way around it. There's no reason why a newish graphic card shouldn't work with a new game, despite the standard of the game. There must be a way to bypass it.

3. neney1

neney1 Member

Well if you find a way let me know cause I love Silent Hill and I was well looking forward to playing it having done the other two.

Janine

4. av_3000

av_3000 Member

Konami can't be that stupid as to make it so so many people wouldn't be able to play it. If it is so, there's bound to be a patch released for it sooner or later.

5. neney1

neney1 Member

I hope you are right cause I only got this upgraded to this computer last year and can't really afford a new graphics card yet!!

6. av_3000

av_3000 Member

Nor me. It's a fairly good graphics card. I was having problems with Final Fantasy 7 too which refuses to work too. Kinda sucks cos two great games refusing to work cos of my graphics cards. Ah well, always got Pro Evolution Soccer 3 and Halo to fall back on for now!

7. neney1

neney1 Member

is Halo good,I like games like Silent Hill and Residental Evil. I like Undying,do know know anymore games like that?

8. av_3000

av_3000 Member

I haven't played Halo too much - I got Max Payne 2 around the same time so my attention was diverted there.

I can't think of any other games in that genre but if you like RPGs, Neverwinter Nights is very good. I personally don't like RPGs but I got well into NWN.

Resi Evil 1, 2, 3 on the PC work fine - I have those three.

9. av_3000

av_3000 Member

For some reason when I installed the detonator thing and went into desktop properties, settings, advance. When I clicked the NVidia tab, it said it'd caused an error in desk.cpl and kept closing the desktop thing down. Led me to believe it wasn't working properly which was rather strange. Damn NVidia!

10. neney1

neney1 Member

I have played all resident evil and which driver do you have because the new driver can't remember number for it keep making my screen freeze so when back to old one I had

11. av_3000

av_3000 Member

I was before installing a driver from nvidia.com. Go to www.gainward.com and find your specific driver from there. I installed it from there and although the game still doesn't work, the driver is newer than my previous one and seemingly works perfectly.

But after looking over more forums I think you're right - the graphics card just isn't up to the job although on the same token, I think they ought to and may eventually release a patch for this.

12. neney1

neney1 Member

Well Remember me if you here of a patch!!

Janine

13. av_3000

av_3000 Member

Well my email address s NO EMAILS, MSN messenger is NO EMAILS, AOL messenger is KiDAVUK and Yahoo is the one above. If you hear of anything, let me know too!

AV

Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
  14. neney1

neney1 Member

I will do and I am NO EMAILS and im is wait for it neney1.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2003
  15. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. No Emails. Thats what PMs are for.
    2. The GeForce4MX does not have programmable-anything shaders. The Geforce3 and GeForce4Ti series and beyond have programmable shaders. Refer to my rant on the GF4MX vs GF4Ti for more info.

16. av_3000

av_3000 Member

Oh sorry about the email addresses. My bad.

So there's absolutely nothing that can be done about it short of buying a new GFX card?

That's gotta suck.

17. Shoey

Shoey Guest

neney1& av_3000,
    I don't mind a good discussion but could the both of you talk maybe a IM or your own email accounts? Praetor and I are here to help you anyway we possibly can but this thread is sorta turned out to be a "gossip" column.

Shoey :)
    Feel free to use our handy private message feature. _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Mobo: MSI KT4VL-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2500+
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd
    DVD-ROM: LiteOn LTD 165H
    CDRW: Memorex52MAXX 2452[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2003
  18. Ramesh75

Ramesh75 Member

Well...guess wat guys,u have another person whos having exactly the same problem,and i did wat av_3000 did.Which is download directx 9.0b and the nvidia detonator the version praetor used,but to no avail.Did i mention that i have the exact same idea as av_3000.

I can't give up man this has 5 cd's and i wanna know wat happened in silent hill.If u guys got know about any new patch release in Konami pls tell me.Thank you.

19. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately I susppect there is nothing short of buying a new video card that will alleviate your problem. As I said before, the GeForce4MX simply does not have programmable shaders and if the game says it needs programmable shaders then you out totally out of luck. No about of tweaking will get those shaders for you (short of tracing out copper paths and soldering capacitors :p on the card itself). :)

20. Ramesh75

Ramesh75 Member

ah dam....hey maybe u could teach how to shoulder the card.I have the equipment :p
    yeah a whole garage full of equipment.
    well guess the only thing to do now is return the game and hope its returnable.