1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky HD Picture..

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by Alfa33Man, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Alfa33Man

Alfa33Man Member

Hi Guys,

I changed my Sky+ box over to a Sky+ HD box..It's a secondhand HD box.

I haven't got the card paired to it yet,as I'm having a small problem.

I can view some of the HD channels,like SyFy,,but when I do,there are 2 big black lines down the either side of the screen. It's like CinemaScope except the lines at the side,rather than a the top and bottom.

I also have a OpenboxS9,which is also connected by a HDMI lead,and to the same TV,and I get the same problem on that.

It's not happening with all the HD channels,,just some of them.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I've tried all the picture settings on both those boxes,and still can't figure it out.

Thanks.

2. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

Is this happening all the time with those certain chans and not just on the programmes that on at the time, meaning the programme could be in 4.3 or 14.9 on some american shows and is broadcast like that rathur than been stretched, resulting with black bars on the side?

Sounds like its the way the chan is being broadcast or how your TV is displaying them, replace the lead also to be sure

3. Alfa33Man

Alfa33Man Member

Just checked it now...I put on a few of the HD channels,,and they seem fine...But defo on Sky1HD I get those lines..Even now as I watch it.

So it seems it's the "American" thing so huh?

4. MICKAH

MICKAH Active member

yeah, have seen it on Amimal planet on my box and others like it, if its shot in 14.9, slight bars on the side, just make sure your TV is set to Auto or 16.9 it may help, same with some programmes in 4.3, older ones, black bars down the side

below is 4.3 on a widescreen TV, hence the black bars on the side
    [​IMG]

5. Alfa33Man

Alfa33Man Member

Yeah,,that's what I get...

I don't think there is any way around it to be honest...No matter what setting I use on the boxes,or tv,,it still stays the same.

Thank you for your help, MICKAH.

6. cactikid

cactikid Active member

yep even dog the bounty hunter old series has those lines down the side,new series has the full screen,its as mickah says depends as the broadcast.some tvs have zoom.

7. Alfa33Man

Alfa33Man Member

Thanks cactikid.

8. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

have had same issue, its a scaling issue of the resolution of the picture delivered from the sat box to the tv. normally you have the option on the tv remote to simply scale to the size of the picture screen of the tv. search your tv remote picture options and you will find the solution

9. e45

e45 Regular member

Because you changed over your box from sky+ to sky+hd you will still only get the same sd channels regardless of your card been paired or not, you have to subscribe to the HD package from Sky if you want to view channels other than FTA ones.

10. fintannl

fintannl Regular member

as usual not what was asked e45 :)

11. Alfa33Man

Alfa33Man Member

But I do have an Openbox S9 with a c-line sub which also gives Me the HD channels,,but it's the same on that.

12. Alfa33Man

Alfa33Man Member

Hi fintannl,

I know what you mean...But when I used to try that,it still made no difference.

Strangely enough,since I now have the Openbox and Sky+ HD box connected via HDMI,(3-in-1 HDMI selector),the tv no longer allows Me to change the picture scale. It just stays on "Full".