1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slim Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by 21Q, Feb 23, 2008.

1. 21Q

21Q Regular member

Well I am going to be making the above after finishing my Xbox Pc, but I need some help understanding some things.

The first thing I am going to do is replace the current hdd with a laptop one. I'm not sure if the xbox needs to be modded in anyway. From what I read it needs to be modded or a flashed bios. Help here is appreciated.

The next thing ir to replace the current dvd drive with a laptop one. I have read that its NOT possible when here it most definitely is. Now I know that WXYZ wires need to me matched up but how exactly do I go about figuring out where they are?

Thats really about it at the moment. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. 420smoker

420smoker Guest

you can find a Laptop To IDE Hard Drive Adapter but you need to find a hard drive that you can lock. as for the dvd drive once you found where all the wires go you would still need to flash the firmware for it to work and yes you need to at least be softmoded to swap hard drives

3. ericvct

ericvct Member

I am not sure if you WANT to mod it or not, so heres some info...
    The guy in the video you linked to was only playing a movie. You can replace the dvd drive with a PC drive, it just won't play xbox games, and you'll need a y-splitter for the power. This is useful for people who are looking to use xbmc and the xbox as a multimedia machine, not a gaming machine.
    And yes, it is possible to change harddrives without any modding. you would need a eeprom reader to extract your eeprom from the mobo, and then use xboxhdm to build a stock, not softmodded drive. This method does require soldering a few temp wires, and building the eeprom reader.
    If you have no soldering skills,or want to do it the easiest way, just load the latest softmod method,the first step is "back up the eeprom", and you have your eeprom for locking the harddrive with xboxhdm. You don't have to softmod, if you want it stock. (I recommend modding it anyway, not for piracy, but because an xbmc xbox is great to have on your home network)
    The biggest problem, as pointed out, is making sure your laptop harddrive is lockable.
    If all else fails, you can use a modchip and not lock the harddrive.
    Eric

4. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

If you look at most if not all slim xbox's, they don't have their dvd drives anymore. Chips allow you to do that. Just ftp over everything you want on the hdd.