1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software/codec questions

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Kennish, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Kennish

Kennish Member

1. I just purchased a new computer and am wary about installing too many programs that integrate multiple codecs into my computer. The two top-rated all-inclusive programs that caught my eye are KMPlayer and K-Lite Mega Codec Pack. I guess two top-rated programs like this should play well together? Any suggestions on which of the two to install first if that makes a difference?

2. I know that codecs are used to play corresponding media files, and I believe also in the creation of the media file (via an audio/video encoder), but do they come in to play at all when "converting" the media file into something that can be burned to a DVD (when creating dvd folders and/or a disc image)?

3. I guess that encoding methods vary both in terms of quality and speed? The reason I ask is that I used Ulead Video Studio as my video editor and I noticed that converting video can be quite slow with some video files (whereas others are much faster). I was wondering whether this had to do with the way the file was originally encoded?

4. The market seems to have a myriad of highly rated video editors, many of which are freeware. Are some faster than others? The ones in my radar are AviDemux, VirtualDub, TmpgEnc Authoring Works, and Super 2011 (although this seems to be strictly an encoder/renderer).

Sorry, I know that's quite a mouthful, but some of these questions have been building up in my mind for some time, lol. Thank you in advance for any help!

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

there isn't really mush difference in speed as 90% of the applications use the same engine behind the pretties.. most use ffmpeg which runs way faster from a command line instruction. The ones you listed all actually do slightly different things.

as for codecs.. cccp codec pack will have everything you need (plus it's updated more regularly than k-lite) .. and if you want cutting edge faster codecs for certain mkv hd stuff then you have to search for the research people making beta stuff (Rotary knows what I mean ;) and accept sometimes there are a few bugs with real on the edge stuff.