1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software for AVI-DVD coversion

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by cyberskid, Feb 19, 2004.

1. cyberskid

cyberskid Member

Hello i am very new to this...so be gentle...i have downloaded a AVI movie and would like to convert it to DVD/VCD format for playback on my TV/DVD player. Can anybody tell me how to do this/where to get the software(free if poss) your help would be most appreciated...

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well if you want to do it for Free then you can Use Tmpgenc to encode the AVI to Mpeg 2 and then use "Tmpgenc DVD author" to Author the Mpeg2 file with menu"s and Chapters to DVD-R, Both these Programs have 30 day Demo versions...A few things you should Know before you encode your AVI file to Mpeg2 for DVD are ,You should decompress the audio in your AVI file before encodeing it to Mpeg2 in Tmpgenc , This is because Most encoders do not like Compressed audio...If you PM me with your E-Mail address I will send you a Tool called "Decompress.exe" that will turn your AVI with compressed audio into an AVI with Uncompressed audio that you can easilly encode to Mpeg2 useing Tmpgenc....
    When you Start Tmpgenc it will start with a Wizard that will guide you through setting up your AVI file to be Encoded to Mpeg2/DVD ,The default settings that it Forces you to use are not ideal so if you want I can send you a Template that has all of the Settings that you will need to set up allready done for you, So then all you would need to do was start Tmpgenc and Close the Wizard and then Load in your AVI file with the Decompressed audio and then click the "Load" Button and Navigate to the Template file I can send you and then click "Start" and it will encode the File useing the correct settings...For me to make you a Proper Template so that your File turns out the Best it can I am going to need to know a few things about your AVI file..If you Right click your AVI file and go to "Properties" and click the "Summary" tab it will tell you the Information I need to Know ,Like I need to know the Length of the Movie ,I need to know the Resolution of the File ,And I need to Know the Frame rate of the File...So if you PM me with this Information and your E-Mail address then I can send you the Decompress.exe tool and the Mpeg2/DVD Encodeing Template to you to use with Tmpgenc....
    You can download Tmpgenc here :
    http://download.pegasys-inc.com/download_files/TMPGEnc-2.521.58.169-Free.zip

And you can Download "Tmpgenc DVD Author" here :
    http://download.pegasys-inc.com/download_files/TDA-1.5.20.62-install-EN.exe

Cheers