1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Software for new Motorola V220 Cell Phone

Discussion in 'Motorola phones' started by shawn2004, Feb 18, 2005.

1. shawn2004

shawn2004 Member

Good morning,
    Thank you M3phist0. I greatly appreciate everyones help, but I've been in the Hospital twice since my previous post, and have been in too much pain to install the Software in order to hook up my daughter's new Motorola V220 Cell Phone.

Before I procede to install the following Software, I'm hoping if somebody could please explain what the 3rd download is.

http://coma.fsb.hr/motorola/files/Motorola_MobilePhoneTools_1.23c_EN.zip
    http://coma.fsb.hr/motorola/files/mobilePhoneTools_2.16_US - update.exe
    http://coma.fsb.hr/motorola/files/Motorola.Mobile.PhoneTools.v3.11h.Final.Retail.rar

When I select the 3rd item to download, (PhoneTools.v3.11) my Browser continues to display an enormous amount of code.

This is an example;
    Rar!«ú‚¡á,‰÷¶xRiwÀ†YÆ€ÆPy€\òeÍ®s¬£ÕõyµÓ˜Ä§´ß Ï!.K2Ÿ·?ìôIâwÞRšÊ›1@´ÀƒP^¿~è~Å…/ÀÝ õDm¼sÊöÔuPìÿÜ6

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
    Shaw

2. GonE

GonE Member

I think it's an update. The error should mean nothing. I clicked ignore (twice) and it still works for me.

3. shawn2004

shawn2004 Member

that's weird
    did it actually download for you as a file?

4. shawn2004

shawn2004 Member

I'm pretty sure I have it downloading this time, 6,600K so far, but it's in "rar" format??

I'm not sure what I am supposed to do with that type of File, ot what type of Software to use in order to it?

thanX

5. shawn2004

shawn2004 Member

Sorry, I meant to ask, in to which order would you recommend I install them?

6. GonE

GonE Member

I think you should install it in the order you posted it. RAR files are somewhat like Zip files. You need WinRar (try google it) to extract those files.

Hope I've helped.

7. shawn2004

shawn2004 Member

great, thanks and have a nice weekend

8. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

Shawn2004,
    The 3rd download is all you should need, its version 3.11h of MPT. The 1st one you have listed is the original program and the 2nd is just an update for that. I would recommend downloading the v3.11h and doing an update within the program after the install. Oh yeah here is a link to a free program that you can use to open the RAR file:
    http://www.7-zip.org/dl/7z313.exe
    You can delete it after the file extraction if you want. It’s not as intuitive as WinZip but it gets the job done, and it’s free. Good luck!

9. stormer00

stormer00 Member

I just get the Motorola V220 from Cingular and had a heck of a time loading up Phonetools and getting it all to work.
    I just wanted to say that after 2 days of fumbling, yelling, throwing and all around going nuts, I finally got everything to work fine. The bigest prob was the driver. But I read a lot of advice from this site and one other and I want to say thank you much. All works well now.

10. shawn2004

shawn2004 Member

Thanks Gee Daddy
    I was wondering if the Download File, "MPT 3.11h" include the Driver?

I hope to get to it this afternoon... I only had 1-1/2 hrs sleep in two days... heading back to bed.

Thanks Gee Daddy... will keep in touch.

11. trvsastha

trvsastha Guest

Hello Stormer00:
    Glad to know your V220 works. Can you pl help with a step by step set up and the driver for V220 (in Xp environment)
    It will help all forum members like me.
    Thanks abunch in advance

12. shawn2004

shawn2004 Member

You stated, the bigest prob was the driver, but did not mention what the problem was... can you be more specific... thank you.

Have a nice weekend all

13. moto220

moto220 Member

I tried and tried...ack!
    Right now I can transfer photos OFF my phone, which is great, but I do it using mpt2.16 and I can't specify the V220. I just use a different one and it at least let's me get my files off.

But I can see that so much more is possible.
    At one point I could actually get my phone book synched, but that time has passed. One step forward, 3 steps back!

Everytime I try to install mpt3x it can't find my phone. I am quite confused. It's probably not worth it, I'm at least happy to get my pix off, but if anyone has any further ideas I would so appreciate it.

14. shawn2004

shawn2004 Member

I'm having one heck of a frustrating time!
    First, I tried to execute the RAR File, but all I get is the read.me file using the following Program.
    EXTRACTNOW 3.56
    03/13/0501:09:01PM Listed Motorola.Mobile.PhoneTools.v3.11h.Final.Retail.rar/Setup\program files\Motorola\mobile PhoneTools\readme.

Then, I tried to execute the MPT 1.23en.zip, but it keeps asking for Disc 1... layout.bin

And of coarse, the MPT 2.16 is to update an existing Program which I cannot install.

Needless to say, I sure could use some suggestions... maybe a new phone, throw this one out, burn, destroy, crush, arrrrg, help

15. shawn2004

shawn2004 Member

arrrrrrg...
    I'm still stuck on the MPT Installation Wizzard. No matter what I try, to either create a new path, new Directory , a folder, or try to copy/ paste within, in order to install the layout.bin file, it will not except the path.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... time to take a break!!!

16. moto220

moto220 Member

Shawn I think you have to fully extract the files first, and then run setup.exe. It won't ask you for the disc 1 if you do that.

Not to say I didn't have OTHER problems, but at least that one I think I can help you with.

For myself, I've finally decided I'm happy to use the version before 3.1 to download pictures, and I"ll just forget about uploading mp3s and synching my address book!! Lame, but I don't have time for the frustrations.

17. shawn2004

shawn2004 Member

I did just that, but it keeps asking for the layout.bin file, which is in the same Directory, but it won't go any further than that?

18. shawn2004

shawn2004 Member

I've tried to create a new path, or folder, rename the existing, plus the LOCALS/Temp, which is the Windows Temp Directory that all Programs use during the installation procedure, which I am, usually, very good at problem solving, but for some reason, I can't get any further than the darn layout.bin file, which is pretty basic you'd think??

19. mossyy

mossyy Regular member

just download a different MPT!!

20. shawn2004

shawn2004 Member

I tried, but could only locate one other MPT Download... was getting to sore, could no longer sit down.

I'll post the ulr where I tried the Download, as soon as I find the Web Site that I found, but in the meantime, does anybody have any Links they could Post, for the MPT?

Very much apprecieted.