1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY DRU-500AX or DRU-500A????

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Ryu69, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Ryu69

Ryu69 Member

Hey everyone. I just bought a sony dru-500ax dvd writer. after i install it and Windows XP recognizes it, it recognizes it as DRU-500A. Is this suppose to happen? or did i accidentally by a 500A instead of a 500AX? the box says AX. let me know, thanks

2. rifx

rifx Member

It's OK. I had a DRU500A, it malfunctioned under extended warranty, now they only make DRU500AX, got the AX, it works perfectly, but still registers as DRU500A on my hardware system. Your DRU box and the bar code on box should say AX.

rifx

3. Ryu69

Ryu69 Member

thanks for the reply rifx. since it is still registered as dru500a, do i have to upgrade the drivers or firmware?

4. rifx

rifx Member

If you have Windows XP, it should do this for you. I think drivers are same as DRU500A.

I have a Dell, and have been warned by Dell not to uninstall Intel Application Accelerator in order to install Firmware (see Sony's support website regarding instructions for installing Firmware- click Instructions under Firmware upgrade- http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/downloads/Firmware20e/Instruction/500Aupdate.html), even though Sony says I should be able to do this. But since Dell won't tell me how because they advise against it, I'm stuck. So I have not installed any Firmware and so far it works perfectly.

If you don't have Intel Applic Accel on your computer, I think you still have to disable DMA setting as well (set to PIO only on advanced settings in system hardware under IDE) in order to install Firmware (see Instructions). Sony does not make this easy. Good luck.

5. Ryu69

Ryu69 Member

thanks for the reply rifx. i have upgraded to firmware 2.0e, as on the sony site for both AX and A it says to upgrade them both. i'm going to test it out later, wish me and luck and thanks for the help.