1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony dru-510a won't burn or even eject!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by thcollins, Nov 24, 2004.

1. thcollins

thcollins Member

can't get my drive to eject and it doesn't seem to be recognized by Nero.

I've had it a little over a year, and now it's acting up. Just yesterday I bought some blank dvds (memorex) and tried to burn my normal way(DVDdecrypter & DVDshrink). Shrink wouldn't work (sorry, can't remember the error) so I tried Nero (5.5) since the files were shrunk already. Nero worked, sort of, for 3 out of 5, rest were coasters (power calibration error).

I thought it might be media so I tried to burn a copy of a music cd, using blanks (fuji) that have worked many times before. Simulation worked, but then I got a "reset" and "Could not perform EndSession".

Now I can't even get the drive to eject!

The light is rapidly blinking orange.

Other wierd stuff:
    On MyComputer, I usually see 2 dvd drives, E (regular) and F (burner). Now the E drive is there and working fine, but there's a CD drive listed as F and a DVD drive as J (my external zip is still G)

The only things that have changed are the media and a printer I just installed last week, but I burned a few dvds fine after that. I emailed Nero, maybe they can help. Sony basically said, 'sorry, warrenty's up!'.

Will I be shopping for a new burner on Friday?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving

2. Radon

Radon Guest

Hi there,

I work for a computer company here in Australia/Canberra. I deal with all warranty and repair claims. Generally with a problem like this I will use the manufactures flash utility to fix something like this. Firstly have you tried flashing the drive with the manufactures drivers?

Cheers Radon

3. thcollins

thcollins Member

Well, I tried that and Sony's firmware updater says that no updatable drive exists. The drive appears in windows as a CD drive, not DVD, not burner. It appears in device manager as SONY BOOT DRU-510A. I don't remember the 'BOOT' being there before.

I've taken the drive out, cleaned the laser with air and a soft cloth, reinstalled and no change.

The eject button does nothing and the orange light is blinking like crazy.

4. Radon

Radon Guest

Just a quick one, have you used the "DriveCheck Diagnostic Tool" from sonys web site? If not, heres the link on sonys web site "http://sony.storagesupport.com/legalagreement.zulu?dlid=cdrw/downloads/DriveCheck.zip". Shall wait for reply before anyother suggestions.

Cheers Radon

5. thcollins

thcollins Member

I tried that and got a message that says drivecheck only supports testing of sony drives.

6. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

how many burns have you made with this burner ? the reason i ask is because i had a dru 500 ax that lasted a year and failed to burn after 300 burns . bestbuy told me that sounds about right for a burner to be wore out . i contacted sony to find out my warranty was up . so i sent the drive to be tested and it was returned to me with a notice that the drive was bad and it was out of warranty .

7. gin4bra

gin4bra Member

sounds like a drive cable is not connected tightly.

8. thcollins

thcollins Member

I've done at least 200 burns, maybe more.

I don't think it's a cable, I've taken it out a couple times today and checked cables every time.

I guess I'll research a new burner, oh well...