1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU 710A not compatible with Clone DVD2

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Payta, May 1, 2005.

1. Payta

Payta Member

Hi guys:

I just got a message from Sony stating that I cannot use Clone DVD 2 with this player, that I should use Nero but I think Clone is much easier than Nero.

My main problem is that the 2nd copy of a movie does not play on the DVD player only on the PC (philips dvd704) and also some coasters. Is there something I can do to have this problem fixed?

I was buying at Shop4Tech the Matrix DVD-R 8X and tought this was the problem, and I was thinking to change to Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden (more exoensive DVDs)... now I don't know what to do.

Can Somebody give me a hand?

2. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

It possibly may be your stand alone dvd player and the blank media you're using. Try "FUJI, MAXELL, TDK, TY, VERBATIM and SONY" next time when you're going to do another back up and see what's up. As for the Sony Dvd Burner, I doubt it's the writer. I, myself, owned a "Sony Dru 710A Dual Dvd Writer" and this baby has been doing a tremendous job backing up movies flawlessly for the last 6 months and still loving it. By any chance have you updated any firmware lately? Go to Sony's website, look for your model and it's firmware update. Hope this help out a little, if not a lot.

3. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

hi,

i too have a Sony DRU-710a that i am using right now, i think Sony just trying to throw you for a loop, since apparently, they couldn't answer your inquiry any other way~ hehe :)

i have to agree w/ alkohol, definitely get yourself one of the recommended media brands that he stated in the above post. i myself am i TY and Verbatim guy, thousands of backups using this Sony DRU-710a with no problems using Clone DVD2 by slysoft.

firmware might also be an issue, im currently using BYX3 firmware, while i did have some trouble in the beginning, so i flashed it back to a previous one, i decided to give it another try and now things are back to normal. TY and Verbs work brilliantly on this drive with the BYX3 firmware.

hope that helps, here is the link for the firmware, please just follow the directions to install/flash properly. let alkohol and i know once you try new media and the new firmware. have a good one payta.

http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/firmware.htm#710

4. Payta

Payta Member

Thanks Kivory and Alkohol!

I updated the firmware to BYX# about a month ago, but a was using them cheap good for nuting DVD, so I will change to TY or Verbatim, I will keep on using Clone DVD2 and see how this goes. A couple of questions...

How long does it takes to back up an average movie (2 hours)on Clone?
    What speed you think is better to use... 4X, 8X 16X?
    Does the speed actually decreased your burning time? I dont know forsure

Have you guys tried the Clone DVD 3? It looks very fancy does it actually work better?