1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony lamp replacement question?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by akuma69, Apr 5, 2007.

1. akuma69

akuma69 Member

hey everyone. i have a sony grand wega kf-ws60 tv. its 60 inch. and recently when i turn the tv on the power light flashes with green, and after a while the lamp light next to it goes red. so ofcourse my lamp has died out.

but the question i had is about lamp timers. i heard that lamp timers are there to prevent the lamp from actually exploding. eg. if a estimated life for a bulb is about 2000 hours. as sooon as it reaches 2000 hours, the tv will not turn on and make u change the bulb EVEN if the actual bulb has not died out yet. Its there to warn that the bulb has died, or the timer is up and time to replace. WHich means sometimes the timer may cause the tv to not start, but the actual bulb may have some juice to last a lil longer.

and i think thats the case with me. my tv was working perfectly. i think i've had it for 4 years or 3. and then today all of a sudden it just wont start and to change bulb. but i reckon i can still use it for a while. is it possible to bypass the timer somehow? or is it dangerous and willl make the lamp explode inside and cause damage? or is that damage thing just a way of manufacturers to make more money out of u.

and whats the cheapest place to buy XL2300 lamp from. I am in australia and the cheapest i saw so far is 500 from the sony site. but anywhere else where it is cheaper?
    thanks for any replies.

2. akuma69

akuma69 Member

just to add to that, when i turn the tv on, it makes a "scratching" sound. its like as if the lamp is trying to turn on. It makes the sound similar to tube lights. those long white ones. when they cant turn on, it makes that scratching noise. the tv makes that kinda noise now.