1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony NWZ-A816 video problems

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by mark9990, Dec 1, 2007.

1. mark9990

mark9990 Member

A couple of days ago, I bought a Sony NWZ-A816 4gb player, and it is being very, very annoying when it comes to video playback.

According to the manual, the video format it supports is mp4. Now I have tried many different convertors to convert many different video file types, wmv, mpg, mpeg, avi, to mp4 format, and yet when I try and put them on my player, I keep getting the message that it is not a file type supported by the player. In fact the only type of file I have been able to actually put on the player at all is wmv, which the player then wont recognise as being on it anyway.

It is seriously annoying me, does anyone have any ideas what might be up??

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  2. hemi426

hemi426 Member

Simple, just us Clonedvd Mobile and set to encode with Ipod profile. I had same problem with my Sony. Also if u want 4 free download any video converter its freeware. Trust me even though its not a Ipod it will WORK. Set output files for MP4 video and AAC sound

3. perrson

perrson Member

Hi, I tried the "any video converter" for my sony and its not working at all, still says its not a compatible video file, any ideas on what i can do?

4. velior

velior Guest

Well,i didn't use clone dvd but i ve sucessfully tried to encode my video files to mp4 with ultra mp4 video converter. It is not free but with the demo version you can encode 5' of each video file.

5. boejoe

boejoe Member

The problem is not the converter; The problem is: You need to install Windows Media Player 11!

You can copy the Spiderman Video Demo to your computer, then when you put it back onto the NWZ-A816 Video Walkman you will still get the same "incorrect video format error".

Also, I found out when you convert a video to the NWZ-A816 Video Walkman, it doesn't have to be 30 FPS, why convert a video to 30FPS when some orginal video is only 24FPS.

Also...

6. boejoe

boejoe Member

optimal video resolution up to 320x240, audio up to 192kbs.

I'm not one who usually shares, but I would like to see more people jump onto the Sony band wagon, this player is solid with 33 hours battery life.

In the next versions of this walkman, I would like to see a built in fm radio, or maybe satellite radio.

c'mon Sony, lets make some Apple Juice, LOL.

7. SHAUNM

SHAUNM Member

ok this is an issue but easily resolved

down load an mp4 converter.

use any settings but ensure your screen size is 320x240

i use "alive mp4 converter" this is avaliable on (ahem torrent/ ahem isohunt) for free, all my conversions work via drag & drop, no need for media player.

i do have to relax the audio quality and bit rate to ensure that the file size is small but it works 100% of the time

yes sony should have supplied software
    yes its a pain in the neck and the sony site is no help

but what an mp3 player this is sort this vidio issue and you have the best sounding mp3/4 player on the market today. trust

shaun

8. HHead

HHead Member

This is simple.

THe player will play back any Mp4 file assuming it's in 320x240 resolution, which is a pain as some podcasts come in 400x300 res which the player won't play. I suspect this is because the screen is 320x240 and sony didn't want to waste battery power in processing video scaling. I've not successfully tested any other resolution.

I found the best converter to use was Super. It's a free converter that converts everything to everything. The only pain with Super is finding the Link to the download on the site as they bury it, I think to maximize ad views.But I'll help you get to the setup download.

Go to the Super Website, http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Scroll to the bottom and click the link "Start Downloading SUPER © Right now". This directs you to another page boasting the features of Super.

Near the top click the link in this sentence "SUPER © is a FREE Multimedia software to download and use It plays & converts very fast full length movies to any other format without any time or function limitation."

You should now be at http://www.erightsoft.com/S6Kg1.html

Scroll to the very bottom, and you'll see a build version. At the time I wrote this the latest build was March 22, 2008, and below it the link states " Download SUPER © setup file " That's the installer. Download it.

The app is great, and I use it for converting to my PDA, or even other videos. In fact I have the Feb 2008 version, so I should upgrade now to the latest release.

Anyway. I've found that with Super, using the iPod Profile, every video plays flawlessly.

If anyone gets a different resolution to work, pls. let me know

9. dinker99

dinker99 Member

This has nothing to do with the method of encoding (the error message is misleading) but with the fact that MTP is broken in XP with this device. As Windows has two USB drivers, a UMS one and an MTP one, you simply need to go into Device Manager and change the driver used for the Walkman device. XP then sees the device as a simple USB drive.

10. mark9990

mark9990 Member

working now, the media player 11 advice is what sorted it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  11. dinker99

dinker99 Member

Installing WMP11 will probably fix MTP, as will using Vista, but you now have WGA on your PC.

12. skinnie69

skinnie69 Member

ALRIGHT PEPS, found the solution to the problem. software called DVDFAB PLATINUM. the only thing about it is that if u download a movie from the net u have to put it in a dvd then on the software u will see 2 big blocks that say DVD to DVD, then the other that says DVD to MOBILE. on the mobile part click on the IPOD icon. everything else is self explanitory. the thing was that it puts it in an mpeg format, which is how i will work. once everything has been done all u have to do is cut n paste, just find were the TARGET IS SAVE @. believe me it worked. i've had this thing for over a freaking month n tried all the video converters peps said to try. this one u can do everything with it. even rip n burn all ur movies to back them up instead of using dvd shrink n dvd decrypter.

13. dinker99

dinker99 Member

Too much spam in this thread!

14. hemi426

hemi426 Member

Strange about wmp 11, I have wmp 10 on all my computers running xp pro have encoded movies on all of them(all my 4 kids have sony walkman and my wife and I too). Clonedvdmobile is worth the price and they have updated it to include sony walkman profiles!

15. thatthis

thatthis Member

first off what the hell is sony thinking? the video format is for quicktime and ipod but the software they give you is WMP. does any of that make sense? second you don't have to use WMP 11 for the files to work and i don't even know how you do that but I've put videos on mine just using explore and they play fine but some of them don't and I'm trying to figure this out and the whole video size thing hasn't worked for me so i don't know what to do

16. userperu

userperu Member

you need to install media player 11 ...where?

on the computer? on the player?