1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sound card help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mrcapdown, Dec 26, 2007.

1. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The X-FI, so called "extreme gamer" sound card is a particularly good one, but in my mind, no gamer actually needs a sound card like that. They will never make use of its audio processing power, that's better suited to professional musicians. You really only need to get something basic like an Audigy SE, or SoundBlaster Live.

3. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

the whole reson im getting is to improve framerates at the moment i have a onboard realtek 7.1 hd but i see a phix card on there i might go 4 that

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Erm?
    Getting a new soundcard won't increase your frame rate by much. As long as you have a decent CPU, changing your sound card will only improve the sound quality, you'll barely notice the difference in games performance. If you're getting a frame rate low enough to cause you problems, it's almost certainly your graphics card at fault.

5. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

no it not that its bad im just trying to get the most out of my system and im in the the middle of a system overhaul

but phixs card are thay worth it

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Absolutely not, they work for less than half a dozen games, and the additional physics put a lot of extra strain on the GPU, making the game run slower.

7. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

ok thanx well i now what im going to buy now there 8gb of geil dragon ram out there think im going to go 4 that

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You do realise of course that you can't have 8GB of RAM unless you use a 64-bit operating system? Normal 32-bit OSes only support up to 4GB, and will only usually recognise a bit more than 3GB. This is due to the nature of the 32-bit bus, and is an unavoidable issue. By all means go with a 64-bit OS, but you may find it very tricky to get drivers for all your hardware, driver support on 64-bit is very unforgiving (remember those unsigned drivers you have to go 'continue anyway' for? They're not allowed in 64-bit Vista, if the driver isn't signed, it's banned, and you can't install it).
    Also, don't get GeIL RAM, go with a proper brand like Corsair or Crucial. You won't regret it.

9. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

it ok i have vista x64

a friend of ming has geil ram and he had no problems and lover great over clocked

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

GeIL sticks do overclock, but high end memory such as Crucial Ballistix Tracers overclock far better.

11. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

lol i have Crucial Ballistix Tracers at the moment 2gb do u think it would be better to get 2 more 1gb sticks then its ddr2667 (overclocked to ddr2800)

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nah, firstly DDR667 isn't that great, DDR800 is the mid-range standard, 1066 the overclocker's grade stuff now. Also, 4 sticks of RAM never perform as well as a single pair. Sell the existing stuff and get two 2GB modules to make 4GB. That'll be plenty. By the time you need 8GB, you'll probably be using a different PC!

13. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

ok sound kool wel as thaty say more is not aways better what ram would u recomend (ddr800)

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

More of the same really. Either Crucial Ballistix Tracers or Corsair XMS2. The latter is what I use and I like it, but the Crucial stuff overclocks further.

15. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

ok thanx i will bear all this im mind