1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound on laptop doesn't work anymore! Will audio codec really fix problem?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by jcfriend, Feb 11, 2007.

1. jcfriend

jcfriend Member

I bought a new Sony VAIO FE Series Laptop 9 months ago. I had DivX movies so I downloaded the "DivX" software to play my movies. It worked well for 2 months, then one day I open "DivX Player" and I get this message: "You may need an additional audio decoder to play the soundtrack of this file. This file contains a track in the MPEG-1 Layer-3 Audio(mp3) (code "85" format)....."

So, I searched google for an audio decoder, I found one radomly called "ffd show" to configure the sound. This decoder helped, but the sound sounded very artificial (the movies had a robot or echo type of sound). It was the only choice I had if I wanted to at least make the sound work. Help!

It has now been two months I've had this codec and I now get the same previous error message from the DivX player, and the sound on my laptop doesn't even work anymore!!! I'm back to the problem I had a couple months ago(but the nice thing is that a few months ago the sound worked on my laptop even without the audio codec).

So now I can't listen to music on my computer (iTunes can't detect sound!) How can I fix this problem??? Can anyone recommend me a good audio decoder to download? Is this problem coming from my laptop speakers?? (I turned up the volume to maximum and still no sound comes out), and external speakers don't work.

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

The only thing that comes to my mind is to go on to windows update and upgrade your windows drives are things like that and see if that helps.

3. jcfriend

jcfriend Member

Thank you! I went to the Microsoft update page, and my computer downloaded the latest updates. I don't see why the computer didn't do the updates automaticaly. Anyways, I feel a lot better now, the sound works. It's weird that the sound stops working when the microsoft updates are not up-to-date. Hope that doesn't happen again, because not having sound gave me a scare. Thank you for solving the problem!!!

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

@jcfriend

No problem. This happen to me also awhile ago when i had to formate my drive and when i reinstalled it it came with no sound which is weird cause XP comes with default sound drivers :) but i think this is what Microsoft has done so you have to do the update thing :)

Glad everything is ok now and i was glad to help.

5. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

is he the friend of jesus christ? lol

thats weird how it did that though...