1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sound problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bueller, Dec 12, 2007.

1. bueller

bueller Member

I sold a acer laptop to a friend that has no sound.I have checked the volume,mute,and the device manager says the sound card is working properly.I have looked all over the laptop to find the problem and cant. Any way my question is if I get a external sound blaster audigy 2zs notebook sound card PCMCIA, would that give him sound so he can watch movies when not at home? I see there are some cheep on e-bay.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well from that description I'm not able to tell you what the problem is, so it might solve the problem, but it might not. It may be a fault with the speakers. Do you hear anything through the headphones when you plug them in?

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

uninstall the soundcard & restart windows so it can find new hardware & load it's driver for the soundcard. if that doesn't work then the transistor associated with the soundcard is probably blown. ran into that problem on older pci & isa soundcards. replaced the transistor & the card had sound.

4. bueller

bueller Member

It doesn't work with headphones either and Im not sure now if I uninstalled the sound card or not but I can try it. About the transistor that seems like alot of work and I wouldn't know where to find one, but wouldn't the device manager see that?

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no as it is probably connected to the output jack of the card so device manager won't know.