1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sound recording

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by ringo711, Apr 26, 2005.

1. ringo711

ringo711 Member

Hi there, I want to record my old VHS to DVD but I'm having trouble with recording sound when i capture the TV or video. When it plays on the pc it's great, I get picture and sound, but after recording i only get the picture. I've checked the settings and made sure that the line in is checked, but don't no where to go from here? The TV card is FlyTV Prime, the sound card is a built in one.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Check the settings in your capture software. Make sure you have the right source selected. It may be currently set different for capture, than live TV. Both should be Line-in, if you have the little jumper cable from the cap card to sound card.

3. ringo711

ringo711 Member

Thanks for the quick responce I have checked the settings, and must admit I'm not sure. but on the record settings, it's set at mpeg1, and it says Stream Format UYVY,?????

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

That's a video setting. Mpeg-1 is going to be useless, unless you plan on burning VCD's.
    You need to check HOW the audio is being played during live TV, and how audio is being captured.
    If you hear it during live TV, then it's probably set correctly. You don't have audio during recordings, it's probably set differently.

5. ringo711

ringo711 Member

On the video settings I have mpeg1, mpeg2, VCD SCVD DVD, Which one should i use. I can hear sound when it's playing, but not on the paly back once recorded I can't see how i can change the settings as i can't any within thwe settings tab to change. Thanks for you help on this I've been pulling my hair out.

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

The setting you choose depends on what you're going to DO with the file once it's captured.
    What capture software are you using?

7. ringo711

ringo711 Member

Well I have tryed NERO, and Pinnacle but again no sound

8. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Does the card require the audio patch cord, from the cap card to the audio card?
    If so, is it plugged into the correct place?
    Try capturing with virtualVCR, DScaler, or any number of other free software.
    I can get you a list if you'd like to try others, but I still think it's either a setting in the software, or some physical hookup that isn't right.

9. ddp25

ddp25 Guest

I have a question. Why when I transfer VHS to DVD, the sound qaulity be the same as the VHS qaulity? When I play it back on my dvd player the sound is loud. Is there any software can convert the vhs qaulity into dvd qaulity? I'm willing to spend money, cause I'm also planning on starting my own business in this. I need a software to do everything in one. Tranfers into dvd qaulity (the sound, the picture), dvd menus, etc. Please help.

10. ringo711

ringo711 Member

This is how I've contected any leads 1, FM Antenna No lead. 2, TV Antenna-Home Antenna. 3, Composit Video IN No Lead. 4, Audio In No lead. 5, S-Video In No lead. 6 Audio Out-Lead to Sound card. 6, Remote Control.As I said I get great sound with everything the computer plays including the TV, but not when I have recorded a program. you said Try capturing with virtualVCR, DScaler, or any number of other free software. Not sure what you mean here. I have downloaded films they were OK and I did down load a program to capture film before i got this TV card, but that didn't work at all.

11. ringo711

ringo711 Member

Hi again, Good news I've got the sound working I took the lead from the audio out, and put it in the mic hold in the pc now the sounds good. However I have had a quick go at and find that not all of the recording seems to come out, do you think my processor is to slow at 1.6 mz. Thanks for all your help

12. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Your CPU may be a little slow, but there are some things to try.
    Set your capture software to 320x240.
    Defrag your hard drive.
    Turn off ALL possible programs before capture...that means, no anti-virus, no messengers, no browsing, no email, no screensaver...don't touch the computer during capture.