1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spider Chip FRAG question -- Xbox won't boot normally

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by tyche7, Mar 7, 2005.

1. tyche7

tyche7 Member

I have installed my Spider Chip v 1.1 on a v 1.6b Xbox successfully. I have flashed it successfully with the M8plus_16 bios and have since then also installed EVOX v +3935. Everything is working WONDERFULLY! (It took forever to get the dang chip in but once I got it in, modifying my Xbox has been a cinch). The only thing I can't get to work correctly is when I turn OFF my mod chip and try to simply boot my XBox normally to it's retail dashboard, it gives me the FRAG (Flashing red and green). (In other words it will reboot 3 times and give me FRAG). Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!

2. tyche7

tyche7 Member

No one has any ideas on this one??

3. jasin39

jasin39 Member

Do you only get the FRAG when you load to default dash, also, once you get theFRAG, does the xbox continue to FRAG after the incident.

4. tyche7

tyche7 Member

When the mod chip is on it will boot to evox normally and work perfectly fine. It's only when I try to switch the mod chip off and boot to the normal dash. The Xbox is fine if I turn the mod chip back on and reboot. I hope that answers your questions.

5. jasin39

jasin39 Member

i have the same problem w. my spider chip. everytime i try to launch the default MS through the Evo-X i get FRAG and i also get a code 21, I think,. the generic or unknown Error. I bought my chip combo-ed w. the hd and software. so maybe there is no more default MS dash to boot to. I dont know if locking the hd would help or not seeing as how there may not be the default dash. if you have any questions i can give you my IM. sorry for not having definitive answer

6. davidc24

davidc24 Member

I'm having the exact same problem and haven't found a solution anywhere. One person said that my pins weren't making good contact, but I bolted the chip on because their provided screw stripped the threads out of the plastic and it's got good contact.

7. dough6988

dough6988 Guest

what i would like to know where can i get my game to work the chip is working but it's tell me no biso update found where can i get the update at

8. knick140

knick140 Member

I had the same problem. I think that if you flash the chip with the switch in it then you have to use it but if you flash it without the switch it wont work.

9. LGBTQ

LGBTQ Guest

I am having a similar problem but in reverse.

I have a spider 1.1 which has worked flawlessly until today when the chip is enabled it will not boot and it restarts 3 times and then flashes red and orange. I have not done anything since I installed it back in feb. I only play it a couple times a week. SO I am at a loss.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

It loads fine with the chip disabled. Only flashes red and orange when the chip is enabled.

could the bios have gotten corrupt? and if so is there a way to reflash it without the usb adapter?

10. jasin39

jasin39 Member

I dont think your bios is corrupted. Fact is sometime the chip comes out of place. or one of the wires have. If you installed the chip yourself and know where the wires go. Then take apart the xbox and make sure none of the wires have come out of the little holes on the xbox

Try booting while the xbox is apart and with the chip enable. If it still frags make sure the chip hasnt come out of alignment withe the mother board. If it has, adjust and reboot.

If that isnt the case or doesnt fix it. Then apply a little pressure to the chip w. your finger towards the opposite end of where the screw is. Dont worry you wont get shocked.

Then reboot while doing so. It SHOULD boot. If it does finally boot. Try unscrewing the chip and then retightening the screw or find some other means of holding the chip down.

Usually its one of these 3 things that go wrong w. the chip

11. LGBTQ

LGBTQ Guest

Thanx thats what i am hoping. I jsut thought it might have been the bios since it happened when I had poped in a game.

12. jasin39

jasin39 Member

I hope its not the bios. I actually moved my spider from a 1.0 into 1.1 xbox and the bios was still intact even with the factory xbox hard drive in there...

Thats why i dont think its your bios. And if it was your dashboard, then you would get a numbered error code....since you dont have one i dont think your bios is messed up..Let me know how it goes. Good Luck

13. LGBTQ

LGBTQ Guest

It worked perfectly. I jsut opened it up and just wiggled and tightened it some and now all is well in mod land. I thank you very much for your input. I appreciate it alot that you were willing to help. People are not always the nicest or most forth comming on here. Maybe we can chat more as I am still a newbie to all of this.

COmputers I know consoles are still new to me.

anyways thanx again for your help.

14. jasin39

jasin39 Member

Its cool

15. mikaselik

mikaselik Member

i have succesfully installed my spider chip version 1.1 on my 1.6b xbox and now i don't know how to burn the disc properly (i have wasted 12 cd's trying to flash it) i used the m8plus_16 bios and i don't know how high or what kind of other file to use as my "dummy file" or what to call it. so if anyone could help me by telling me what to make the names of both the files and how high to make the dummy file that would be much appreciated or what kind of disk

16. jasin39

jasin39 Member

take any file on ur computer. right click and copy it. then paste it. any file at all, but the bigger the better. then in windows folder options uncheck the button that says "hide extensions for known file types". then rename ur file u copied to "dummy.dat" or "123.dat" or even "evox.dat"

if ur still confused, IM me on yahoo my name is jasin39

17. mikaselik

mikaselik Member

this is for tyche7. how did you flash your chip? its impossible for me to do so if you could tell me waht disc or program you used that would be great. i look forward to hearing from you

18. tyche7

tyche7 Member

Sorry it's taking me a while to reply here!! I'll give more specifics later -- I'm trying to make a mini guide for this. But to at least give you the short answer...
    I used a CD-RW (Memorex I believe) burned through Nero. I burned a M8plus_16bios.bin and a dummy.txt file onto the CD and used the Chip's cromwell interface to reflash the bios. This works as I've done it a few times since.