1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*.ssa & *.avi WON'T merge.

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by FNautix, Sep 19, 2003.

1. FNautix

FNautix Member

I've made a *.ssa file in SubStation Alpha for a movie I was subbing, and I've succesfully ripped the DVD to a DivX *.avi file.

I've opened the *.avi on VirtualDub and loaded the subtitler filter to load the *.ssa file.

I can clearly see the subtitles showing up on the video on the output playback screen, so I was told that the only thing you need to do is click "save as avi" and the subtitles will show up in the finished project. But after I click 'Save as Avi' and view the completed file in winamp or any other video player, the subtitles don't show.

I've heard about the Frameserving option, but I don't wish to convert it to mpeg-1, I wish to keep it as it's normal *.avi

What am I doing wrong?

2. powerdup

powerdup Regular member

What filter are you using to load the .ssa files into virtualdub?
    Are you trying to create permanent subs?

Are you resaving the avi? Or are you re-encoding it?

I have no knowledge of .ssa files or any filters that support it via virtualdub, but I think you need to re-encode the movie with the subtitle filter in order to have these subs "burned" into the movie.
    If this is the case, why not re-enocde the vob files with the ssa subs, so you can have the best possible quality, since re-encoding will degrade your movie somewhat.