1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Starview - The Box - No signal? Cannot scan any channels

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by Doom33, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Doom33

Doom33 Member

Hi all,

I just bought a starview digital reciever but am having terrible trouble trying to get it to scan for channels.They all come up failed,O program found!
    http://www.afterdawn.com/hardware/product_details.cfm/2569/starview_the_box

It will not pick up any channels at all after i set the langauge & use installation menus. I have 2 N@L digital boxes in my apt in dublin that work fine in both rooms on samsung hd tv but i cannot get the starview box to work on either connection. Pretty gutted at this stage & thinking about getting my money back but would love to get this working.

Any suggestions on what could be the problem? I tried
    1. Scanning all Cable networks.
    2. Puttting in the latest codes in the 1570 hidden menu(although told this box would do it auto & they looked correct)
    3. Scannning manually
    4.Changed Key EMU to on.

Any help would be really appreciated, starting to lose hair at this stage!!!

Doom

2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Go to the link at the bottom of my post and click on Eamos link, then "The Box" and download the box_Ireland_H20070705_450eE_api.bin. Then go to Starview - Software and download the GTLoader.

The box is similar to the Starview in upgrading the firmware. You will get a complete guide by clicking Starview - Documentation and download the Starview PDF Guide. You will need a null modem cable to download from your pc to the box. You can get these in Maplins or Peats.

This is the new software for "the box" and should solve all your problems. I am heading off for the night but will be back tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  3. Doom33

Doom33 Member

Thank you very much for the reply. I am in work now but will be giving it another shot tonight. Man i am determined to get this to work as i can't afford the digital anymore as is.
    My plan is to try "the Box" tonight in my mates house & see if it works there. Then i will know if its the box or my apt!

Can i ask a quick question before i go down the route of trying upgrade the firmware! Is this a recent update as the guy i bought the box of(2 days ago) says it has the latest firmware on it but seen as its not working for me i am begining to wonder? Has this solved similar problems for others?

For the null modem cable is it a "Serial Null Modem 9-Pin Female to 9-Pin Female" just want to be sure when i stroll into my local store i dont pick up the wrong thing?

4. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Yes it is only out a day or two. You can check what firmware is on your box before you install the firmware I directed you to and see if it is the same, I doubt it though as this is only out 2 days.

Yes you are correct in the serial lead description just make sure it is a null modem D9BF to D9BF. Good idea about checking it at your mates place it may be just a signal fault at your place.

Let me know how you get on.

5. thedcman

thedcman Member

scouser you seem to know alot about these boxes.i have a starview at the moment and have the starview 2 on the way next week, will the auto update and gtrom loader do the trick for updating the new box?

6. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Yes the GTromloader will work on both boxes. But just remember that the Starview and the Starview 2, (actually called "The Box"), have different firmware. So just be careful you dont mix up firmware types when you are updating your boxes.

Also "The Box" has different firmware for the UK & Ireland so is also region dependent.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  7. CITYFAN

CITYFAN Guest

Hi, All,

I have the new sv called "THE BOX". It is working very well and i'am very pleased with it, but once you connect it to the cable network, YOU MUST NEVER SWITCH IT OFF, only put it in STANDBY MODE,because it still feeds al the time, also put the right time on it.Then when it's in standby mode, the time will appear on the box.

8. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

HMMM your feeding your box City lol ;)

9. CITYFAN

CITYFAN Guest

PLEASE SCOUSER,
    DON'T TELL ANYONE, they will all be doing it, have to go it's hungary again, i might give it a scouser pie from anfield..
    only joking "mate".

10. phonedave

phonedave Guest

please can you help me out.i switch my box off from the mains for a day and when i switch the box back on iam getting info no signal.any help you can give me

11. MAINAMN

MAINAMN Active member

first check is your EMU on ( have u 'the box' or a starview original ?)

12. MAINAMN

MAINAMN Active member

better off havin a bledin' bud at OT !!

13. phonedave

phonedave Guest

thank you for the reply. yes the emu is on and its the box

14. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

What codes have you got for 00 and 01 keys, what is your general location and provider info.

15. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

"Info No Signal" .. Is your normal cable working ok , check the incoming cable line into the SV ?

16. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Hi Celt pullin a late one Im in the hidey hole :)

17. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

ha ha Fri and Sat can be my night shift lol

I see you over there ;)

18. phonedave

phonedave Guest

i got the box working thank you for your help and all on afterdawn.i put box_Ireland_H20070705_450eE_api.bin.and all is fine.

19. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Glad you got it working .

20. madmaggie

madmaggie Guest

I moved sr The Box from one room to the bedroom and now have no channels . I input the corrects codes after a scan i still have no channels. Help much appreciated