1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

STARVIEW UPDATE FIX - easy

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by jimsplace, Jan 27, 2007.

1. dq1

dq1 Member

Anyone know where i can download original starview installation software. I have been trying to update my fathers box but keep getting "flash update failed" message. I have taken his box home to work on it here but have not taken installation disk with me. please advise on where i can download software. help much appreciated. thanx.

2. thomasboy

thomasboy Member

When I try to update the starview box, im getting the same message about the flash update failing?

WHat am I doing wrong?
    Thanks

3. iaing999

iaing999 Member

**Here is the solution to the probelm with using a USB to COM cable**

You need the following :-

1. USB to COM cable with appropriate software to emulate a COM port
    2. NULL MODEM CABLE, with female connections at both ends

3. All the relevant software as descibed in the first thread

You need to emulate a COM port on your PC or Laptop, that does not already have a COM port, this is done by installing the software that should have come with the cable.

Once you do this, all you have is a COM port, NOTHING else. You need the NULL MODEM CABLE to connect to the box.

Follow the instructions, as per the first thread on this page.

This has worked for me many times and I encountered the same problems that you guys seem to be having.

Cheers, Iain

P.S I assume the USB to COM is a male connection? If not gender changers would be needed, but you should not need these.

4. crashd

crashd Regular member

Can you explain further please. The people on this thread seem to be saying that they do have a com port but can't flash the box. So please explain what you mean by emulating a com port on a PC or laptop that does not have a com port.

5. Fekker

Fekker Regular member

He has explained it. The software emulates a COM PORT that is accessed with the USB-SERIAL adapter, all that is nneded now is to connect a NULL MODEM cable to it to allow you to flash your Starview.

6. crashd

crashd Regular member

Fekker

This is obviously going over the top of my head but if the people on this thread have a com port and he is saying he had the same problem as them can you please explain why he is saying "You need to emulate a COM port on your PC or Laptop, that does not already have a COM port,"

I'm really interested as I have a com port so does this apply to me or the people on this thread who do have a com port.

7. crashd

crashd Regular member

Sorry guys now I understand. Obviously I'm not at all a techie type

I can fit a three pin plug (with instructions) though

8. iaing999

iaing999 Member

Hi

OK - Here is the situation....

If you have a PC or laptop with a COM port built in then use a NULL MODEM CABLE - You do not need any other software to perform the update, other than the GT ROM and the flash file.

If you have PC or Laptop without a COM port, then use a USB to COM cable. This will come with software that you have to install and will convert the USB socket to a COM port - effectively emulating a COM port. THEN CONNECT A NULL MODEM CABLE TO THE USB/COM CABLE AND INTO THE BACK OF YOUR BOX. YOU NEED BOTH TYPES OF CABLES IN THIS INSTANCE.

As long as the GT software is looking to use the same COM port as is setup on your PC / Laptop (this goes for both types of connection) then the update will work. If it does not work, then get back in touch with the person you bought it from.

9. ahart

ahart Guest

Hi
    I succesfully updated my Starview box after 26th Jan with the files, however when I switched it on last night most of the channels were scrambled again, apart from Sky Two and TCM! Has anyone else experienced any problems. I've had 1 month uninterrupted viewing so cant complain too much!

Thanks in advance

10. locksley

locksley Member

Same here

None of the sports channels are working. I've done a full factory reset and automatically scanned all channels and hardly any channels are working now.

11. jimsplace

jimsplace Member

Cable have chosen different frequencies
    Delete all pay per view channels

Menu
    Installation
    Manual scan
    Network scan - change to enable
    Ok
    when scan complete exit
    select channel ie sky sports 1
    update should commence, when complete all channels should be available.

12. ray34

ray34 Member

I had similar problems with the Movie and Sportz channels last night on both my Starview & Ev-Max, so itz maybe not your box (cc) thats causing your problem. If you give it a couple of hours then try a re-scan they should be back. Thats what I did last night and they scanned back in and today its been perfect. (Hamilton)

13. ray34

ray34 Member

I have just started using the Starview (had ev-max for 9 month) and must say compared to the eur-vox it seems to be high maintanance or is it just bad timing???.
    P.s. Sportz channels just had to update themselfs again!!! (10-mins ago)

14. crashd

crashd Regular member

I'd still like to get the Starview going but I'm going to buy another make of box as the starview seems to be a lot of hassle. at the moment I'm using my analogue that has never had any problems. The only channel I can't get that I want to watch is S extra