1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still can't get anywhere.....

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Morph416, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

After using SuperDVD Ripper, CloneDVD (running with Slysoft AnyDVD driver)....I still cannot get any DVD to copy to a DVD-R, and get it to play in my Panasonic DVD player. The player claims to support DVD-R, but I cannot get it to read them.

I know trying to burn DVD-9 disks to a single DVD-R has it's separate process, but even single layer DVD's aren't being done right. I can't even put the burned DVD-R's back in the comp DVD player...it either locks up Explorer, or I get a message saying there's no disk in the drive.

What am I missing here?

2. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

ok firstly I would ry a different approach ......try dvd shrink to back the disc up its free 4 download ......back it up to a folder thats easy to find then burn it with nero thats the simplest way to back up a dvd .....

I use dvd decrypter ......to rip the dvd to My HD then dvd2one to crunch it to fit upon a 4.36 gig disc then burn it with nero .......also stat using dvd _rw media till you get the hang of it keeps the costs down n thats what its all about ....lets us know how you get on

DaOsT

3. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

I am giving it a go now.....thought DVD Shrink runs into the encryption, and refuses to work.

Since most DVD's are DVD-9's, I am wondering if it's possible to just rip one of the movies out of it? Being that there's a choice, Full Screen, or Wide Screen. Each selection is below the 4.7Gb limit...

4. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

yeah after you have dvd decrypter ed the dvd you crunch the dvd with dvd2one so that a dvd-9 will fit onto a blank dvd +/-r media let us know how you get on so We can help

5. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

On the average, how long does it take to for DVDEncryptor to rip a 4.7Gb from a DVD? This thing has been goin' on forever!

My system is an AMD 3000+ with 1.5Gb PC3200 XMS.

6. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Sorry, DVD Decryptor.

I have selected to rip out the Wide Screen version, though after reading the guides thru here, I am not sure the prog will work, since it was posted that the total DVD size cannot exceed 4.7. Does this mean that Decryptor just cannot be used to pull the VOB files from the DVD if it's a DVD-9?

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Decrypter simply removes the encryption which means it will decrypt ant size movie. The size limitation is referring to using Decrypter's internal burner engine which is limited to 4.4GB since Decrypter can't compress the movie.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    "And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2004
  8. fibertag

fibertag Guest

You said dvdshrink runs in they encryption and stops do you mean the copyrite? Ether way shrink sould work. Try useing anydvd and dvd shrink together see if that works. On a side note when I was buying a burner I was reading reviews and some dvd players didnt read all the disks that where put out by the burners. One of the reviews they took 9 dvd players and tried the burnt dvd on each of the 9 players. Even pioner and plextor burners put out disks that some dvd players wouldnt read. Just some food for thought. You may wanna try a dvd you burnt on a friends dvd palyer see if it works.

9. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You guys are doing it the hard way. First, if shrink won't decrypt the movie, try opening your dvd player software and play the movie for a few seconds. Then stop the player and open Shrink. It should then decrypt the movie. Once you open shrink, you can pick which version of the movie you want using re-author. You only need decrypter if shrink then refuses to work. The only movies shrink gave me problems with are Disney movies. Also trying to use decrypter and shrink sometimes causes problems together. Anydvd will also help Shrink decrypt as stated, but only do it if you have trouble with shrink. CloneDVD and Anydvd work great together, Never had a movie they couldn't decrypt. They are my first choice on backups.

Jerry

10. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

I agree with you, CloneDVD and AnyDVD worked like a charm!, however, CloneDVD burned a DVD-9 to a DVD-R disk....and without proper compression, it's like stuffing 10lbs of flour in a 5lb bag....the DVD players can no longer read the DVD-R. My Panasonic home DVD player claimed it cannot read that type of disk, even though it reads DVD-Rs....after the burning process is done with CloneDVD, even my computer can no longer read the burned disk.

I am working on several different ways of accomplishing this simple for you, hard for me..task!

11. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Ok, last question.....I was finally able to rip the movie from the DVD. It created .VOB files which play in PowerDVD just fine.

Now, using Nero 6.3, (DVD-Video option) do I place these files in the VIDEO_TS folder?

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Clonedvd is suppose to compress just like Shrink. You can also edit out extras to get the compression up better on the main movie. There shouldn't be a problem with doing a dvd9 to a dvd5 blank with Clonedvd. I do it all the time. Are you running the Clonedvd by Elby with the animated sheep? There is another Clonedvd KNOCK OFF.
    Jerry

Answer to your last question is yes. Put all the files inside the VIDEO_TS folder. If you are using Shrink 3.16, you can make shrink auto burn with Nero by going to the preference settings in Shrink.

13. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Yes, I am using CloneDVD with the sheep.

Also, I tried to answer my previous question regarding Nero, and it said the files were out of compliance, and may not work???

14. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

If you use Nero manually, when you add the shrink files to the VIDEO_TS folder, if you get them in there right, you should see a little musical note along side the shrink files. I don't know what the note means, but it tells you the files are in the right place. Using auto burn in shrink takes the guess work out of that part since the files are added automatically.

15. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Well, I have given up on making a DVD backup that will work in my home DVD. Seems no matter what program I use, or what speed I burn it in, the farthest I have gotten was the intro screen before the player freezes. I got one copy that plays really well in the computer DVD player, but that's it. Seems that the home DVD player isn't compatible with the way CloneDVD, or Nero burns DVDs.

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Morph416,

1. What brand media are you using ?

2. Do you have Easy CD Creater on your PC ?

Pete

17. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Burner - LiteOn LDW-411S

Yes, I have both Nero 6.3.0.3, and Roxio 6 (with latest updates, drive updates).

I have yet to try Roxio.

18. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Roxio left me with a warning window, that the vid file contained AC3 audio, that is not supported in DVD Builder.

19. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Rarely do Nero and Roxio play well together. I would do a complete uninstall of both and then reinstall Nero. You said you have AnyDVD and Nero 6... that's all you need. Forget Shrink and all the others and learn to use Nero Recode.

http://www.nero.com/en/632101090030238.html

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Morph416,

As you have been told, Roxio doesn't play well with others - to put it another way, UNINSTALL ROXIO IF YOU WANT TO BACKUP DVD's. :0

Next, about your media - From your posts, I think it’s a major factor :)

You have absolutely no idea how big a deal media is - :-(

Cheap media is excellent for Text, Data, Spread Sheets, Pictures (.jpg's and .Gif's) and it's pretty good for music BUT, if you want to make backups of DVD's Cheap media "Freezes", "stutters", "pixilates" and down right, doesn't play at all !

In order to work in your PC and in standalones you need "The Good Stuff" ! Use Ritek G04 or Verbatim. Trust me, Cheap media isn't cheap if it doesn't work :D)

Y'all get back to us when you make the change - We get those 2 things straightened out we’ll be half way home (Yiippppiieeeeeeeee)

(Kool Club you just joined, Huh ? Oooohhh, you didn’t know you joined did you ? Well, you did (lol)

Pete