1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still can't get anywhere.....

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Morph416, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Forgive me, last night I was tired of the long battle.....and forgot to mention I am using Memorex DVD-R (4x).

I will look into getting Verbatim.

Is it just the burning software of Roxio that needs to go? I like using Roxio's label creator...

and besides,....after seeing some burning issues Nero has had in the past (particularly, not recognizing a blank disk when there's one in the drive), Roxio has managed to burn where Nero feared to tread. Nero is my main burning program.....Roxio is just there to back up when I have issues with Nero.

For some reason now, Nero will reject a blank CD, or DVD (every now and then)....then it kicks the burner out of the Recorders section, and I have to restart the computer. Once it thinks the CD/DVD is not blank, it will not allow me to use another until the system is restarted. Not good in my opinion.

2. jacka$$

jacka$$ Member

Morph416 i use dvd shrink along with nero and i got a perfect copy of lord of the rings 2. and it fit onto one disc and play's in my home dvd player+comp with no prob.

3. 1Adonis4u

1Adonis4u Guest

Try on a different dvd player and see if that works.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Morph416,

Memorex has had some problems so I still have to go with Verbatim :)

I like Roxio for doing music CD's but it does kill Nero -

Uncheck Roxio in msconfig, that will be good -

Also - when burning, reboot your PC so that it is "fresh," then burn -

When trying to play your DVD, same thing - reboot first

Resources, resources, resources - you have to have all that you can get :D)

Pete

Always make sure your firmware is up-to-date :p)

5. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

As I am eliminating one problem after another, I just uninstalled Roxio, and used Nero Recode. Recode was a step backwards as far as the process goes. The burned DVD doesn't play in the home DVD, and locks up the computer's DVD drive.

Funny thing is, is that Super DVD Ripper can rip the DVD to a VCD with no problem. I can then play the VCD in the home DVD.

I have read in here that Disney movies seemed to cause the biggest headaches, and that's what I am trying to do. Burn a backup of IceAge...since my daughter got a hold of it, and chewed on the edges of the disk. The rip is ok, the .vob files are in good shape........just can't seem to get anywhere with the current equipment.

So, when I get Verbatim DVD-R's, I will post back as to any success I have had...

Thanks to all for your time in helping me get this far.

The Panasonic documents say that the player may not play DVD-R's depending on the burn process.....well, there's only two major burning software titles....Nero, and Roxio....and since none have had success, I think you guys are right.....Memorex just plain sucks when it comes to making DVD-Rs.

6. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

By the way, current comp setup:

AMD 3000+ @ 2.2Ghz
    1.5 Gb XMS PC3200
    LiteOn LDW-411S DVD +/-R/RW
    LiteOn JLMS XJ-HD166S DVD Rom
    Maxtor 40gb
    WD1200 120gb

7. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

UPDATE:

I updated the firmware since I found a new one on Lite-On's site.

Switched from Memorex to Sony DVD-R and successfully burned a DVD that works in the home system. However, the success is minimal, being the movie is full of pixelation, and skips. But, at least it's playing. So, along with cleaning the lens in the drives, and finding some Verbatim DVD-R's, I think I'm finally near the end of this long hassle.

The Memorex DVD-R's play fine now in the DVD-ROM drive, just not the home system.

8. jacka$$

jacka$$ Member

re.

3 March 2004 13:18
    Morph416 i use DVD Shrink along with Nero and i got a perfect copy of lord of the rings 2. and it fit onto one disc and play's in my home dvd player+comp with no prob.
    3 March 2004 13:53
    Try on a different dvd player and see if that works.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Burn, baby, BURN!"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    i've played it on my 2 dvd players and lent it to a friend and no prob.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

jacka$$,

Way to go Buddy, Glad you're cooking -
    I like that saying, I might try it (lol)

Morph416,

Keep the faith - always check the basics abd when you get that Verbatim you'll be flying -

Pete