1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange problem

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by diverj, Apr 19, 2005.

1. diverj

diverj Regular member

I am experience something strange with a backup. Here is my scenario. I have made a backup of "The Ten Commandments" as this is one of my all time favorites. I used AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 and everything went as normal. I closed out both programs (I generally do not keep anydvd running all time) and placed the disc from my burner to computers player and my computer does not recognize the disc. Acts as if there is a bad disc or no disc in there at all. I use branded Ridata blanks and the burning process went smooth.

Thinking I have wasted another disc, and wondering what to do, I stumble around for a few minutes and decide to see if AnyDVD will show any information on the disc. I restart anydvd and low and behold my backup starts playing! Now, I am really wondering what is going on here. I mean, bad media is bad media and nothing should "make it good". Well, I decide to unload anydvd while the backup is playing, and the movie stops. I open up CloneDVD and that program does not recognize the disc, but does when anydvd is running.

Does anyone know why I should NEED anydvd to play a backup once made? This is one on me.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Just a guess ... but what is your drives region code set to?

reason why I ask ... AnyDVD's purpose is to disable any css encryptions and region codes. A backup should have the css encryptions removed.

Try to make a backup w/ DVD Shrink. Make sure you check region free for the backup. See if that backup will work w/ AnyDVD off.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005
  3. diverj

diverj Regular member

Possible, however, the discs are region 1 and anydvd is set to remove region 1 and I am in region 1. While it could be a problem I doubt it. I did, install the beta of anydvd and decide to uninstall it and install the last version (until anydvd version 5 was officially released), I doubt even that would have been the cause.

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

hmmm ... if everything is region 1 it shouldn't matter.

Have you tried playing a backup made by Shrink?

5. diverj

diverj Regular member

Not lately, I have tried to consolidate on one program and one dycrypter. Maybe this is just an isolated incidence. I am not too worried, as it plays fine on my set top cyberhome player.