1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

subtitles...can't do it...

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by skroller, May 28, 2004.

1. skroller

skroller Member

hey:

how are you doing...look...i've being searching the entire web for a real answer to this question(obviously, i've read the guide to convert to vcd using TMPGEnc and to add subtitles...)but i just can't seem to get it right...obviously there's some kind of problem with that guide because i've read other users complaining about the same matter...do you think anyone could help me with this?i've followed each and every step of the guide a couple of times and nothing...also when i hit the preview button the image comes out with no sound..is that normal?the audio format is mp3 so i don't think i's due to a lack of codecs or something like that...here's the link to the guide... http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/divx_to_vcd.cfm

thanx

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

you need to convert the audio to wav first, i just tried directly from mp3, and there is audio, but a flat on the graph, no sound.

as for subtitle. the easiest way is through virtualdub. load the video in vdub. get the filter subtitler for virtualdub. load the sub (only .ssa format supported).
    you need to choose full processing mode. check the timing to your liking.

lastly choose frameserve. load the frameserved file to tmpgenc and the sub will be there.

there is a disadvantages doing this with v-dub.
    1) you will be converting the video from yv12 too rgb. meaning it will jeopardize the maximum quality you can get, but little will be lost, i hope.

2)converting the colour depth meaning a little more processing power. so it will be a little slow.

the best way to do this using avisynth. a programme that revolve around scripting language.

get avisynth 2.5 from avisynth.org. install it. get a filter named VSfilter, it is a filter for subtitles. support .srt, .ssa, .ass, and many more.

then open up notepad and type this

loadplugin("C:\wherever\VSFilter.dll")
    avisource("C:\wherever\yourvideoname.avi")
    TextSub("C:\wherever\subtitlename.ssa")

save as .avs then open up in tmpgenc.
    important, put extension to it if it has one, like .avi or .ssa.
    put the full path to where the file is save, easily copy from the address bar.

avisynth is more than a subtitle tool. learn more about it, you'll be glad if quality and speed is your kind of stuff.