1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggest a capture program from miniDV to DVD

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by angus999, Feb 26, 2007.

1. angus999

angus999 Regular member

I realise there a few threads with a similar title but I think mine is a little different.

I am looking for a program that will capture a whole miniDV tape then allow me to pick and choose which pieces of video I wish to keep and burn to DVD.

I'm a novice at camcorder stuff so give me some slack please if this is a stupid question and most progs do what I'm after!

Thanks in advance.

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Short answer: many "all-in-one" programs (capturing-editing-encoding- DVDauthoring-burning) can do that.

Long answer: many people use different applications for each of the steps mentioned above. reason for this is that various applications have different strengths in the various steps.

Capturing from miniDv is not a big deal and as long as you use Firewire and do a transfer using DV-AVI there is no difference in quality. There are even freeware programs you can use or Windows MovieMaker (make sure to use the right settings however).

Editing programs are available in many diferrent qualities. If you just want to cut out scenes, MovieMaker is OK, but if you want to do more advanced things you have to buy a more sophisticated program.
    Encoding determines the final image quality on you DVD, so this is very important.

Encoders are built in in most DVD authoring programs, but they don't all have an outstanding quality. There are also stan-alone encoders that have maximum teaking possibilities to achieve maximum quality.

DVD-authoring programs are also available in various levels of sophistication. Are you happy with simple template based menus? Then you can buy a lower end one, if you want hollywood like menus, you have to buy a more decent one.

Burning can be done from within many authoring programs, but you can also select the burning progrma that came with your DVD burner,

Puzzled? Check out http://www.digitalvideoclub.com/basics/tapetodvd.php

3. rbrock

rbrock Regular member

Pinnacle 10.7 check out this great movie program You can do any and everything with you movies its not cheap 99 bucks