1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SUGGESTION FOR A RELIABLE EXTERNAL VHS TO DVD CAPTURE DEVICE

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by KEATSKI, Apr 28, 2005.

1. KEATSKI

KEATSKI Member

I am new to this forum and would greatly appreciate any input on a good external vhs to dvd device. I tried the ADS one and it work for two vhs tapes to dvd and stopped. Returned it to store. Still would like to do this, kind of get turned away when you read some of the reviews of some of the external devices. I am sure there has to be a good one out there. I have a new DELL COMPUTER WITH 2.8GHZ. I have read this is ok for this. Need your imput. THANKS!!

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

3. KEATSKI

KEATSKI Member

I appreciate the reply, but I just need something for successful transfer of VHS tapes to DVD. Do not need the TV tuner.

4. Largarto_

Largarto_ Guest

If your VHS output is for a TV tuner, wouldn't you need a TV tuner for your Dell to capture?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2005
  5. KEATSKI

KEATSKI Member

GOOD QUESTION! DO YOU? NEW TO THIS. THE DEVICE I TRIED FROM COMP USA WASN'T A TV TUNER. MADE BY ADS, WORKED FOR 2 AND STOPPED FOR WHATEVER REASON

6. Largarto_

Largarto_ Guest

Oops! You were looking for a stand alone (external) device but, want to utilize your PC? My mistake. Most just use an inexpensive PCI slot TV tuner card. Software's the trick. I settled on 'PowerProducer' (Cyberlink), very user friendly, with capture rates up to 8Mbps but, most tuner hardware is limited to 6Mbps, which is still very good with 1 hour per DVD. This exceeds the resolution on VHS anyway.

7. pfh

pfh Guest

8. KEATSKI

KEATSKI Member

THANKS--PFH SENT YOU A MESSAGE

9. permatex

permatex Regular member

to keatski-what you are looking for depends on how much you are willing to spend.i use a hp dvd movie writer dc5000,this is an external dvd writer with a built in captuer card,it comes with software for converting vhs tapes to dvd to include all required cables.you will also need a clarifier to kill copyright protection.hewlett packard dc5000 movie writer 199.00 at hp.com.clarifier 124.00 at facetvideo.com.to date using this system i have converted seventy two vhs tapes to dvd.note-i started out with ulead,switched to cyberlink power producer witl little success.i have had no problems since switching to the hp systen.

10. LivnDGirl

LivnDGirl Regular member

Keatski: Read the forum rules. (and turn off caps lock please)
    PM'ing people does not provide the remainder of the community with the particulars or resolution of the questions you ask. The goal here is a knowledge base, as I understand it.
    Just reminding you before the moderators do. Welcome to the boards!!!

11. KEATSKI

KEATSKI Member

Didn't mean to offend by bad habit!! Private message was to PFH for more info concerning his Plextor, which was very helpful. with his success with it, I ordered one today. I do understand the concept of forums, his info is already on one of the lists.