1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

swapped hard drives, neither loads OS

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ramsdaro, Jan 6, 2008.

1. ramsdaro

ramsdaro Member

I swapped the hard drive out of my mothers computer to my sisters, and my sisters to my mothers, both get to the option to load windows, but neither will. my sisters comp restarts, and my moms comp freezes after i tell it to run normal or in safe mode.

i tried the jumpers the way they were, then i tried swapping the jumper on my moms hard drive to the way my sisters was. and it had the same problem.

any ideas whats wrong? both were masters. and i loaded them both as masters.

2. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

you can't just swap the harddrives. they need to have a fresh install because it's configured for the original computer it was on. windows will go crazy unless you put the harddrives into the original computers, or reinstall windows.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  3. ramsdaro

ramsdaro Member

thanks for the help. so that means we cant swap the drives and keep all data?

4. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

if you want to keep the data, get an external usb harddrive, and transfer it onto there.

5. ramsdaro

ramsdaro Member

thanks for your help. my sis suggested it because she has a laptop and her desktop is alot better then my moms but they wanted to keep the data. no biggie though. ill just have to put them back haha. and my mom will be stuck with her computer lol

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You can keep the data, but you can't use the operating system on them. You have to use the same hard drive you use already to run windows, and just use the drive you moved as a secondary drive to store files.