1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Synch error @ end of disc on most cd's ripped by EAC

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ted_b, Nov 18, 2003.

1. ted_b

ted_b Member

This is my first post. This forum, as well as hydrogen, ipodlounge and others, have helped me tremendously to understand and maneuver my way around my new digital music world. I am somewhat of an audiophile, and recently discovered 224 AAC and the world of the iPod (haven't purchased yet...40 gig). Ok here's my issue:
    I have decided to used EAC as my wav file ripper ("copy image and create cue sheet, uncompressed" option)due to it's great secure error detection, etc. I then use daemon tools to load the wav file/cue file on a virtual drive and then let iTunes compress to 224 AAC (saves tags, etc.)
    I use my Dell's Liteon DVD-Rom LTD163, and use a +594 offset (as per a couple of tests and confirmed in the EAC database). I'm finding that 60-70% of my cd's rip just fine...until the last second or two of the disc, which results in a sync error (although I hear nothing of import when I review it). Why is this happening in the majority of my cd's? Offset issues? It doesn't seem to matter if "overread into lead-in lead-out" is checked, but I'm not 100% sure of that. Anyway, any ideas? Not worth worrying about, since I don't hear it (on EAC or iTunes)? Thanks,
    Ted_B

Last edited: Nov 18, 2003
  2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Hi & welcome.

Only ideas I have right now (not more than guesses):
    - Play with overread + Synchronize between tracks settings and see if something is improved.
    - Try Nero ASPI (copy wnaspi32.dll to EAC folder + change EAC ASPI settings.
    - Make sure that you use the correct read command (see offset databases).

Otherwise I can only recommend trying to find some information using the search here, on hydrogenaudio, on digital-inn.de EAC forum (down ATM) or yahoo EAC group.
    If I wasn't able to track down the problem quickly, I'd probably decide not to worry about it ... ;) .

3. ted_b

ted_b Member

I tried doing one w/ and w/out overread on lead-in/leadout. The sync error only occurred on the one enabled. However, I'm theorizing that all I'm doing is truncating, yes? On a couple of the sync error cd's the error ocurs during the last second or two of music....I'd rather not truncate in that example. Oh well.....tht's all I can tell so far, without going back and finding one of those and copying both ways and listening for missing music.

4. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

If you select not to read into leadin/leadout, there'll be a few samples (594 in your case) replaced by silence. It's not that bad, I'd say. To be sure you can try this:
    Rip the last track of a CD (ideally one that doesn't caue sync errors), 1 time with, 1 time without overread and use EAC to do a wave comparison of the two rips. Most likely you'll see that only a few samples are different/missing.

You could do the same on some more CDs to find out if there are really sync errors (EAC reports *suspicious positions*, not errors).

BTW: If your drive can't read into lead out but EAC tells it to, the audio data it returns from leadout (last few samples) most likely is not what's on the CD anyway._X_X_X_X_X_[small]AFTERDAWN FORUM RULES: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2003
  5. ted_b

ted_b Member

tigre,
    Thanks for all the help. Yeah, I've evaluated the situation and decided the sync error message is not on issue. I'd rather over-read, evalaute the suspicious position, and then in almost 100% of the time, let it go. Thanks for adding a sane ear to this.....by the way, this is fun. I'm hooked.
    Ted_B