1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tannoy Venus Mk ii Hifi Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Squall11, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Squall11

Squall11 Member

Hi,

Basically i've been given two tannoy venus mk ii hifi speakers from a friend and it might sound a bit stupid but i don't know how to set them up and neither do all of my friends even the one who gave them to me. In the link below, the middle picture is the front of the speakers and the bottom picture is the back.

http://www.hifido.co.jp/KWtannoy/G1/E/870-10/C06-27109-69219-00/

I would like to be able to use these speakers to play music off a laptop or phone or an ipod so would need to be able to connect an AUX cable. I need to somehow provide these speakers with power and need to be able to control the volume and be able to connect my music. Are the only thing i need are an amplifier and some speaker cables? Do i need anything else? Can someone give some advice and post some links to some good amplifiers and speaker cables please?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but would like some help please.

Thanks in advance,

Xav

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. aldan

aldan Active member

you need an amplifier with usb port for your computer or ipod.havent seen the tannoy name for a while.my brother had a pair in 1970 and they were one of the best i ever heard.

3. Squall11

Squall11 Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll look for an amplifier with a USB port then. Will any amplifier do? What sort of cables will I need to connect the back of the speakers to the amplifier? Glad to hear tannoy is a good make. Looking forward to hearing them in use!

4. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

I have a classic Marantz 2230 from the early 1970's that is one of the solid state receivers audiophiles look for.

I'm using for a preamp to run my turntable to the audio inputs of my PC. The Pre and amps are bridged. You don't need a USB connection. Stereo phono plugs/jacks will do the trick

I'm willing to part with it for $150.00. Look on Craigslist, A full working 2230 goes for ~$300.00.

Jeff

5. Squall11

Squall11 Member

Hi jeff,

Thanks for the offer but i'm from the UK so won't be able to buy your amplifier from you. Been looking on www.amazon.co.uk and was wondering whether these two amplifiers will do?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/RENKFORCE-R...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327802724&sr=1-1 and http://www.amazon.co.uk/Auna-AMP-92...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327802823&sr=1-16
    If not would you be able to show me an amplifier on www.amazon.co.uk which would work please? Ideally i'd like to spend as little as possible. Which cables would i need to connect between the speakers and the amplifier?

Thanks

6. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

I have not been keeping up with just amps as of late. These days everything is integrated into one receiver unless you spend a boatload of money on decent components.

Rule of thumb used to be a receiver would do one or two things well with others functions lacking in performance. No true these days.

I still have a McIntosh amp from the early 80's. Very expensive in the day and even more so today.

The Marantz is heavy because of huge transformers, thick gauge metal chassis and the case cover is made of wood.

In fact I ordered one of these: http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc750lcpp.html.

The footprint of the Marantz is huge.

The output of the preamp I ordered is adjustable which is a must for the correct input level to the sound card.

85db range @ 20-20k frequency response and a low signal to noise ratio. The lower the better.

The Marantz must weigh at least 20 lbs. Horrible shipping cost to the UK. :)

Good luck with your speakers. Speakers like amps are ageless. It's hard to improve on perfection.

That also goes for my two Marshall 100w guitar amps.

Jeff

7. aldan

aldan Active member

your going to have to look at the back of the speakers and see what the ohm rating is.then find an amp with the same rating.you will also have to look at the back of the speakers to see how the speaker cables connect.ie rca plugs or just bare wire connection.also check the minimum power it takes to drive the speakers.it will be shown in watts.dont get an amp that wont drive them.some of the really old speakers took a lot of power to drive them so make sure the amp is up to it.cruise your local stereo shops for info as well.come to think of it check pawn shops as well.

8. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

Most old speaker are 8 ohms. RCA speaker connections were unheard of in the day.

Yes, you don't want to overtax an old amp with 4 or 6 ohm speakers. It's called impedance mismatch. The amp looks at the speakers as a load. Not enough load the amp works hard to output the power needed to drive the speakers. You unhook speakers from an old amp without circuit protection driving up the volume, the amp sees the load as infinity, outputting power until it burns up.

These days are different. 120w @ 8 Ohms. 160w @6 ohms. Since newer receivers use switching transistors for a power supply (switcher) and power transistors for power output instead of transformers, circuit protection is a must.

Jeff

9. Squall11

Squall11 Member

So if we assume that the speakers are 8 ohm. Will either of those two amps from amazon.co.uk which i posted do the job? and what cable will i need instead of RCA?

Thanks

10. aldan

aldan Active member

probably the first one if it meets the minimum power output as well as ohm rating.look at the back of the speakers to see what kind of cable to use.probably just speaker wire.

11. Squall11

Squall11 Member

Here ate the specifications of the first amplifier: Output power: 2 x 12W on 4 Ohm / 2 x 10W on 8 Ohm (Surround 2 x 5W on 4Ohm)
    Distortion factor: <0.1%
    Frequency curve: 20-20,000Hz
    S/N Ratio: >70dB(A)
    Sound control: Bass +/- 10dB/100Hz treble +/- 10dB/100Hz
    Channel separation: 60dB

Will it do the job? How do I tell whether it just needs speaker cables or RCA? The back of each speaker has a red and black plug. In my first original post there is a picture in the link (the bottom picture of the 3)

Thanks

12. Jeffrey_P

Jeffrey_P Regular member

Don't know what model you have but...:
    Spec's on the DC1's:-

"PERFORMANCERecommended amplifier power20 - 150 WattsContinuous power handling110 WattsPeak output power325 WattsSensitivity88dB @ 2.83 Volts per 1mNominal impedance8 OhmsFrequency response39Hz - 51kHzDRIVE UNITS Dual Concentric™high frequency 25mm (1") 25-micron titanium dome, neodymium magnet systemDual Concentric™low frequency 165mm (6.50") multi fibre paper pulp coneSuperTweeter™25mm (1.00") 25-micron titanium dome, neodymium magnet systemCROSSOVER Frequency1st order LF @ 1.8kHz, 1st order HF @1.8kHz and 3rd order HF @ 16kHzCONSTRUCTION Enclosure typeReflexShieldingYesVolume12LDimensions460 x 196 x 260mm, (18.10 x 7.75 x 10.25")Weight9kg (19.8lbs)FinishSycamore, American walnut or black ash real wood veneer."

Full range speakers use a crossover network for low, high and bandpass filters. These full range speakers are great for music but a poor choice for surround sound setups.

Today you use the receiver to limit the frequency response range. Very useful since speakers have a variety of frequency response ranges.

Jeff

13. Squall11

Squall11 Member

So should the first amplifier work with my speakers? Judging by the specs?

Thanks

Xav

14. Mez

Mez Active member

Do not worry about the ohms the only problem there would be if your speakers were too low not too high. Low ohmage speakers are very heavy and very expensive. Mine have 50 pound magnets. Head phones usually have extremely high ohms. No one worry that something is going to blow up because you plugged in 32 ohm head phones. High ohm devices take little power to run.

A quick look showed a typical HiFi shelf speaker set of a by-gone era. The more watts the better they could suck down the power. They are probably 8 ohm so they will need plenty of power. I don't know how old your speakers are. If they start to sound fuzzy the cones will need to be re glued. If you don't catch it right away and the paper rips the cost to fix will be prohibitive. Since you got them for free you might want to try gluing them yourself since gluing can be very expensive. Try to buy red rubber glue on the internet that is what is usually used.